Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
I’ve been wearing Sugoi fleece insulated tights with a pair of baggie bike shorts over for years, but with all the bike specific riding pants coming out lately, I’d been looking at these.

But:
1) They’re super expensive
2) perpetually sold out in my size.

So I got looking on Amazon and ordered a pair of these. Super warm and comfy for temps below 15-20F. Not sure how they’ll hold up, but so far no problems.... and I could replace them three or four times for what some of the name brand MTB specific pants cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have used the Baleaf pants from Amazon for several years. I live in Iowa and bike almost everyday, they are warm, cheap, and durable.

Only complaint is the sizing is jacked, I am 6'3 170 pounds and use XXL, I wish the length was a little longer,

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
I got some Endura pants on the way

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It's getting cold. I've always just worn whatever in the past.

Should I look at getting riding pants that let me put my knee pads underneath? Or is it a comparative gimmick, just use my regular pants and just tie the strap around my ankle to keep out of the chainring.

Don't need rain protection, I just get cold.

Thoughts? cycling pants worth it?
Man IDK. I bought fox pants last year and I think I have used them twice. If it isn't in the 20's I get way to hot wearing pants. Some guys I ride with will wear pants with long johns underneath while I wear shorts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
this is my first real season riding mtb and this winter I started wearing my mototrials pants, built in knee and shin protection I don't think I'll stop wearing them when it warms up

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought the Specialized Demo Pro pant a few months ago from Jenson and love them. I wear them all the time even off the bike. If temps are in the low 40's or under I'm wearing pants. Pants also keep cold mud/water off the part of my leg that shows in between my socks and knee pads. For XC style riding or gravel I'm wearing tight thermal pants but for general trail riding, trail building, and goofing around I'm wearing the Demo Pro pants. If they were not so expensive I would buy a second pair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You probably should wear Mtb pants with wearing your knee guards underneath. I wear dirt bike pants and I wear my knee guards under my pants but it's your choice. Have fun mountain biking, Stay safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got some club ride fat jacks and have been happy. Not even just for the cold, I rode the Black Canyon Trail recently and was the only one with pants. Also the only one without bloody scratches on my legs from thorns/cactus needles in the end. So, the thicker material over tights was worth it in that situation

·
Registered
13 Posts
be careful of cactus needles I bet those hurt getting poked by ouch. By the way, Grog111 Have fun Mountain biking and watch out for cactus needles, stay safe.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
Only complaint is the sizing is jacked, I am 6'3 170 pounds and use XXL, I wish the length was a little longer,
Yeah, there seems to be three or four different amazon sellers/brands that sell pants from China that are nearly identical. I noticed that some of them had really crazy sizing charts. Some of them recommending XL or XXL for my 32" waist?!?

The comments said these ran true to normal sizes so I ordered the medium and it fits perfect.

·
Ride, Race, Live
248 Posts
MTB Pants are pretty popular at the moment it seems. I was thinking about grabbing a second pair so I have some re-stock alerts setup. I keep getting emails after dinner saying pant X is back in stock and figure I'll take a look in the morning and order them. Of course they are sold out in the morning. I guess I'll have to be more on the ball and fire up my computer at night [I do most of my surfing/shopping in the morning] to order a pair next time. :geek:
This like most components right now is the problem.
Even this very website has posted some reviews about pants, and Pinkbike had a long comparison.
But nothing is available unless you are a Mini-Me, or Andre the Giant.
Why does anyone bother advertising, or reviewing when you can't get any product.

And if anyone would like to prove me wrong with "oh so, and brah has like sooooo much stock"
Please share links.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, there seems to be three or four different amazon sellers/brands that sell pants from China that are nearly identical. I noticed that some of them had really crazy sizing charts. Some of them recommending XL or XXL for my 32" waist?!?

The comments said these ran true to normal sizes so I ordered the medium and it fits perfect.
I got the bigger size for the length only. I can tie the waist band tight.

I will say the Baleaf brand is more waterproof than another cheap pant I purchased off Amazon.

Besides the odd sizing the Baleaf pant is perfect. I have used them in pouring rain and 7 hours of -20F riding (had some polar fleece type long underwear under them).
I probably wear a pair for 600+ rides before the crotch area deteriorates.

Maybe I am missing something with more expensive pants but I don't know what it would be.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Cold is relative. In the NJ/PA area I can ride with Smart wool leggings or long songs and shorts down into the 25F range. If I wanted to ride in weather colder then that I would grab some pants. I would roast in pants from 30 and up.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This like most components right now is the problem.
Even this very website has posted some reviews about pants, and Pinkbike had a long comparison.
But nothing is available unless you are a Mini-Me, or Andre the Giant.
Why does anyone bother advertising, or reviewing when you can't get any product.

And if anyone would like to prove me wrong with "oh so, and brah has like sooooo much stock"
Please share links.
It's tough, the two pairs I bought this year I bought both online (lbs only had big sizes left) and only after checking frequently. Ended up with a pair of dakine trillium pants from dakine website in the summer, then I just recently ended up with an amazon credit and after searching over and over (and sifting through cheap brands I've never heard of) the O'Neal legacy pant showed available in my size. Both didn't last long! I only just got the o'neal pants but I think I like them so far.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't have any riding pants but I do use some old bdu's if it's in the 20's to keep me warm anything above 30F and they get hot.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
If you don't need real winter riding pants, but you want to cut the wind chil down without having to wear tights, the Endura Singletrack II pants are pretty sweet.

Stretch fabric in all the right places, seem pretty durable, very breathable, long zippered vents on both legs, room for knee pads. but no ankle zippers so they won't come off without removing shoes.

I could see wearing these three seasons.

These are not DH pants, no that durable.

$129, well worth it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I did appreciate having pants this morning when it was 27*F.

Also the trails are great when the ground is frozen. As soon as it started to thaw it was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 44 Posts