Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting cold. I've always just worn whatever in the past.

Should I look at getting riding pants that let me put my knee pads underneath? Or is it a comparative gimmick, just use my regular pants and just tie the strap around my ankle to keep out of the chainring.

Don't need rain protection, I just get cold.

Thoughts? cycling pants worth it?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
3,671 Posts
Bought some PEARL iZUMi AmFib pants and I love them. Wear them with shorts when it's only moderately cold and with tights when it's really fuggin' cold. I have issues with toes going numb in the cold but these plus the little booties and I'm set.

The AmFibs are also water resistant which is for here. Not so great that I want to ride in the rain, but in the Willamette Valley, sometimes unplanned rain rides happen. Plus it's good for muddy/ sloppy conditions and wet grass/ brush off the side of the train.

All that said... full retain is an eye opener. I found mine on sale and wish I'd bought 2 pair.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have Dharco Gravity pants and they are nice on cold days! My legs stay a pretty moderate temperature all year round though regardless of if I'm wearing pants or not. Just the really cold days where wind chill is a factor, pants help a lot for me. You may have to experiment for your specific situation since some pants breathe like shorts and others make you sweat like sweat pants. PinkBike just posted a long review of riding pants last week so time to start doing some research on the different types :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I picked up a pair Zoic Reign knickers on sale a few years ago and they have become a big part of my seasonal riding gear. They see use around 50F and lower by adding leg warmers or layering them over tights/base layer. I even use them for road riding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I usually get too hot mid ride, especially when doing lots of climbing, even down to the 30s. So riding pants with zip off bottoms are key for me. I’ve been using the same pair of fox pants for over 10 years since they don’t see as much use as my regular shorts. Definitely a very worthwhile investment. Also +1 on amfibs if you want a tighter fit and don’t need the zip off feature.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Climbing pants are pretty nice for riding, and a quarter the price. They often have a drawstring around the ankle, are rip stop materials, yet are stretchy and fit knee pads. I like the outdoor research ferossi, but I’m sure there are many alternatives.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to mix to your thread but I would also like to ask about pants. I would like to buy Leatt DBX 4.0 or some Endura MT500 pants, just for riding in parks even in summer days (temperatures around 30°C). Are they breathable even in these days? I just don't like shorts too much. I am used to have something beneath anyway

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I bought a pair of Race Face Ruxton pants this winter and wasn't sure how I'd like them. Turns out I am wearing them every ride. I'd buy another pair if they weren't sold out so I didn't have to do laundry so often. I'm in Coastal BC so damp and cold conditions. I use fenders front and rear which helps a lot, but there is still some wheel spray and then mist/rain. The pants help enough to be a lot nicer to wear over my usual shorts. The also keep my knee pads clean so that's one less thing to wash often. No real downsides other than cost, but I can see them lasting several years.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Even though I live in a cold place (Northern Nevada), I rarely wear pants because they are just too hot. I do wear Endura waterproof knickers which breathe well, but when it's at or below freezing I find my lower legs get cold; I've been wearing longer socks which don't really work well with pads.

I have ridden Endura shorts and wet weather knickers for years, they are durable and good quality. I just ordered a set of Endura SingleTrack-Trouser-II, the new pants are upgraded with stretch fabric and longer thigh vents. I ordered a Large and an X Large. Hopefully they breath well enough to be usable. I wanted to get the green color, but they are sold out.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
Climbing pants are pretty nice for riding, and a quarter the price. They often have a drawstring around the ankle, are rip stop materials, yet are stretchy and fit knee pads. I like the outdoor research ferossi, but I’m sure there are many alternatives.
I've been using some Marmot stretch hiking pants, which have worked fine, but I've already blown the crotch on one pair and they're not exactly "crash proof" and they don't have space for knee pads..

Bike specific pants usually have a crotch panel designed for riding and they are more tear resistant in crashes. If you ride enough and wear pants when riding, it makes sense to have dedicated riding pants.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I recently started riding with the Bontrager OMW pants. I wear some thermal layer underneath. Those pants are great, keep the wind out but still are comfortable (flexible etc.). Last year i just rode regular fleece-lined pants, which was less comfortable.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
I wasn't sure how warm the RF pants would be since riding in BC/PNWet is only cool most of the winter. So far they've been great Nov - Jan. I expect to use them in Feb and switch back to shorts in Mar. The ones I got are black with minimal logos so I can wear them for cruising around town or other activities that are lower intensity during the warmer months of the year to maximize their usage. 👼

Of course there are a wide variety of MTB pant designs. Some are warmer and some are really well ventilated.

My GF just bought a pair of riding pants. I guess she was jealous of me. :geek:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I recently started riding with the Bontrager OMW pants. I wear some thermal layer underneath. Those pants are great, keep the wind out but still are comfortable (flexible etc.). Last year i just rode regular fleece-lined pants, which was less comfortable.
Depending on what "cold" means this is my recommendation as well. I have a pair of these and they are awesome. I can fit my knee pads under them (adjustment is a bit of a pain, just gotta drop trow...), they have vents, are cut perfectly, and are not hot when it is just below freezing. Normally from 25F and up I would just wear shorts and knee pads with longish wool socks. I gave the pants a try with no layers, just my chamois, and I surprisingly did not get hot even when a bit above freezing. In the teens a base layer is all they need. If "cold" is above freezing into the 50s I think regular riding pants may be better. For proper winter, the OWM pants are pretty awesome.

·
nOOb
477 Posts
I just bought a pair at lunch today matter of fact after seeing them on clearance at the LBS. I've been looking for cold weather pants for a while. I normally wear winter weight bibs with a chamois in them, but they aren't warm enough. I figure I can wear bib shorts or bib tights underneath these if it gets really cold, or just a pad if it's warmer. They fit nice, I'm long-legged, but the length seems okay. We are getting 4-8" of fresh snow so I can't wait t try them out after work tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,758 Posts
I have a pair of the Bontrager OMW pants that I bought from REI at Xmas, tried to wear them on a thirty degree day and was baking before I even got on my bike, so they're going back to REI.

For really cold weather, say zero to twenty Fahrenheit, a winter specific pant is ideal, but get closer to freeezing and I can't wear much without excessive sweating. Sweating out your clothes in cold weather is no-no.

Mostly I'm looking for something I can wear that keeps the wind off and protects my legs, usable on a warmer enduro ride for protect, but still enough to keep off the chill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's always pretty warm here in Western Australia so I only wear long pants on cooler night rides and some rainy winter days. They're worth the money for sure.
I'm about 33" waist shorts, always in between sizes. Nukeproof Medium 34"-36" / Dharco Large 34"

Nukeproof Blackline Trail Pants - These are light, stretch well and breathable. Key ring in the left pocket is handy. Kinda water resistant ish. Zip pockets holding up ok.
Dharco Gravity Pants - Bit heavier and warmer, more water reistant. No key ring, that would put them at the top.
Both have external velcro waist tabs. Decent zip pockets. Serious kneepads fit underneath but it is difficult / impossible to pull up the legs enough to remove/adjust the pads quickly.

While i'm on the subject,
Nuke Proof Blackline Shorts - These were the best mtb shorts i've ever had, til the pocket zips flogged out and they started selling grey shorts listed as black. Still super comfortable, great fit.
Dharco Gravity Shorts - Same good fit as the pants, durable and comfortable.
Nukeproof Blackline WaterProof Shorts - Wear these with or without long pants on full on rain rides. Get hot quickly with the gaiters pulled tight but do a good job keeping the mud out.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just to clarify the OMW pant use, I consider winter when there is snow, meaning below freezing. So far our winter didn't get colder than -10C. And with just a long thermal layer they are perfect. If it gets colder, I will see, but may add a pair of what you would call jogging pants, that are a bit thicker than my thermal layer. So I'm sure for MY needs, they will be warm enough down to -20C. Their function is more a wind breaker that stays dry when snowing than insulator.

If above 40F, I just wear my jogging pants, above 55F I wear shorts.

I got them for $150 from Trek superstore on sale. i got the gray ones, which seem to be an old model since the current color is Model-T black.

Not sweating, not freezing, just perfect.

·
slow
6,869 Posts
I have a pair of Chinese import pants a friend ordered online and found were too small for him. They have a windproof and water resistant front and seat, but the back of the legs is lighter Lycra type material that breathes pretty well. They are comfortable in temps up to about 40 degrees, and can be layered with leg warmers or thermal tights as the temperatures drop. I've worn them down as far at -10F. If I could find another pair with the same features I'd probably pick them up.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
MTB Pants are pretty popular at the moment it seems. I was thinking about grabbing a second pair so I have some re-stock alerts setup. I keep getting emails after dinner saying pant X is back in stock and figure I'll take a look in the morning and order them. Of course they are sold out in the morning. I guess I'll have to be more on the ball and fire up my computer at night [I do most of my surfing/shopping in the morning] to order a pair next time. :geek:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts