Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many more of these are around, but I came across a basically NOS '00 Tracer on Ebay a few weeks ago. It was listed as having been built up once in '01 with ~20 miles on it. Bidding was unusually low (I'm always looking for a deal), so I threw in a last minute snipe and snagged it for $275 thinking it wouldn't be in said condition. It arrived in better shape than I imagined. Looks like it just came out of the LBS. The guy said he pulled the Tracer decals when he bought it because he didn't dig the yellow. I almost feel bad building it up, but some parts are already on the way! I had built a Tracer up last winter, but was forced to sell it before ever riding it. This time around I hope to see what these bikes are all about. The reviews are great... these things look pretty stout. I need something to break up the single speed monotony. :D Sorry for the rant, but I know there are some Tracer nuts on here who might appreciate a few pictures... winter in Minneapolis is depressing, so what better time to build a bike? :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Nice find, I think those were a very good bike. I like it without those fugly stickers Intense used to use.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
faster in red??

Mine certainly was. Sold it 6 months ago, now I wish I hadn't. It was the very last of the 03 ones. Beefier gussets, tribal graphics etc.

Your ebay purchase is a steal. Find yourself some bearings and linkage plates while you can still get them and tuck them away for a rainy day

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'm no Intense expert but that seatmast looks reinforced and the headbadge is the newer style- I'm thinking 2003 vintage no?

Mine is black and is slow as hell because of the motor not the color...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Molasses said:
any excuse

what is your SS build like?

It's nice to see more active Tracer riders on here :D

SS Build is a Salsa Juan Solo, King SS hubs/DT Swiss XR4.2D, Sid Team with '07 internals and floodgate, Eno cranks, Boone cog (34/17), Thomson stuff, '07 Mono M4's, Easton carbon, etc. Picture is right after I built it, still had a few things adjusted from there.

The Hope M4's are getting moved to the Tracer, a set of pink Hope Minis are on the way for the SS. The M4's are overkill for an XC-race-oriented SS.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
still riding my '00 tracer and loving it...
:thumbsup:

tracerelbert.jpg
(on the way up to 14,433 feet)
:cool:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
them there's fightin' words!

mezzanine said:
White...still not sure about it.
last year:
tracerjeep.jpg

this year:
tracerbridge.jpg

viva la tracer!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a friend named TRACER and he's gaaay....I'm mean he loves Jay...and he loves chicken fillet all over Jay ....hey hey!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got a chance to build one last month, pretty fricken sweet for my first full susp bike.
I do abuse it quite a bit for what it is, I should probably use something else to throw down the trails.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,677 Posts
Klein Freak, Nice find although you are wrong on the year of that frame. An 00' would have a polished swingarm and not a painted one. They were painted from 01' on. Also your seatmast has been re -enforced which they did in 03'. So I think your frame is an 03' and not an 00'. And to answer your question red has always been faster when it is applyed to an INTENSE.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
wrong on both counts

DIRTJUNKIE said:
Klein Freak, Nice find although you are wrong on the year of that frame. An 00' would have a polished swingarm and not a painted one. They were painted from 01' on. Also your seatmast has been re -enforced which they did in 03'. So I think your frame is an 03' and not an 00'. And to answer your question red has always been faster when it is applyed to an INTENSE.
my serial number puts my frame as an '00 (pix above), and even though i'm not the original owner i'm 99% certain my swingarm is original (bought frame from a friend) and 100% certain it isn't polished.

seems everyone has a red intense... i wanna see some blue ones for a change. :rockon:

·
38,677 Posts
gotdirt said:
my serial number puts my frame as an '00 (pix above), and even though i'm not the original owner i'm 99% certain my swingarm is original (bought frame from a friend) and 100% certain it isn't polished.

seems everyone has a red intense... i wanna see some blue ones for a change. :rockon:
It's that one percent that your not sure about. The year 2000 was polished your swingarm must have been changed out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
gotdirt said:

I also suspect it's a 2000 front half with the rear end replaced with a painted 2001. It's certainly not a 2003 the seatmast gusset is completely different. the 03's gusset came all the way up and wrapped into the actual seat tube.

And BTW red tracers are without a doubt faster...:thumbsup:

Mine's an 01 that I picked up NOS on ebay about 3 years ago. I paid significantly more than you...

·
38,677 Posts
Gotdirt your white Tracer is most likely a "late"in the model run of 2000' one of the first swingarms to be painted. Because in 01' they started painting them instead of polishing. Either that or the previous owner switched the swingarm out to a later model year which was painted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts