Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an NH Yankee looking for a fun excursion in the lower 48. I've been to Moab (really enjoyed Porcupine Rim), Flagstaff, Sedona (my favorite destination so far), Crested Butte, Winter Park, Orange County (Laguna), SF Bay area, but never the southeast. Even before the recent issue of Bike, I have wanted to ride Pisgah/Dupont.

If I have a week, where should I ride for the best XC ST riding? I don't wear a full-face helmet or armor, and prefer moderate technical riding with flow. Climbing is welcome.

What bike should I bring? I currently ride a 29er HT, but could build up a 26er XC FS bike.

Can I do both Pisgah & Dupont in a one-week trip? I can probably ride 20-30 miles a day consecutively with no problem.

What is the best time of year? I assume Fall, since my guess is that the Spring can be a bit muddy (I don't like mud for several reasons) and the Summer can perhaps a bit hot and humid.

What is the best local source of up-to-date trail info? Is there a good local shop?

Thanks in advance for for any helpful info.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm planning a trip there soon but I'm having a problem with route planning. Anyone got any routes they can share?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Any recomedations on a place to stay while there near the trails?

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
708 Posts
Yes they are well worth the trip. Are you driving or flying? I think the Ashville area has a lot to offer even if it wasnt for having the best Mountain biking in the country.

You will hear it at some point and it is true... "Pisgah miles are not like other miles". Do not be disappointed if you can not pedal after 15 miles in Pisgah. the longest ride I have done was 28 miles at FATS and it did not kill me and I felt fine by the time I was driving out the parking lot. The tuffest ride was about 16 miles in Pisgah and I thought I would die, I had to jump in a hot-tub after just to stop from hurting. I regularly do between 15 and 20 miles at South Side and am fine. I am a 220lb'er though.

A week should give you enough time to Hit Pisgah, Dupont, and Bent Creek. You can visit the Biltmore on your day off.

I think Bent Creek is the most fun of them all and the least taxing on the body, I just really like flying down Greenslick.

I like riding Dupont the best with my wife as it has the best scenery.

You should be fine on a 29er HT and without any body armor and full face helmet.. I have seen every bike out there on these trails. I think the perfect bike though is a 5 inch travel full suspension DW link bike.

Also if you had the time and a whole day to kill... I think FATS is worth the trip. it is 30 some odd miles of smooth flowing pumping single track which was has been purpose built for bikes.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Nope! If only you knew just how much our department of tourism paid for the Jan:BikeMag article. :skep:

At the Trans County TDA special celebration last week they stated how much they granted to get Bike here, but I forgot (by the end of that presentation, the 70's and 80's might have had something to do with my current memory skills ;) )

·
Registered
147 Posts
Late spring or mid fall are the times to come here. You could get great weather or sh1t weather or both any time of year though. I'd shoot for April or October.

I'd stay in Brevard or Pisgah Forest. Plenty of options, everything from camping to B & B's to cheap motels.

I'd spend 4 days in Pisgah, 1 day in dupont. You can see most of the good stuff in Dupont in a day. In Pisgah, I'd do a big day from the fish hatchery, another from the stables, another from Turkeypen, and one from Mills River. You should be very tired and smiling at the end of that week. You need nat geo trails illustrated map #780 or I believe there is also a new map available at either of the pisgah bike shops. Everything you need is on the map and relatively easy to follow.

Either bike will be fine but I'd bring the fully. Don't worry about armor and stuff.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Definitely worth it. @dcubed, I've biked a lot of similar spots that you have, and I don't have a single favorite but Pisgah / Dupont is up there at the top. The trails aren't as scenic or steep as some of the stuff out west, but IMO the riding is just as fun.

One thing I love about the area too is that everyone and their grandmother seems to ride bikes and love mountain biking. I'm living in Southern California now and hikers far out number bikers on the trails -- it seems like the opposite around Western NC.

For shops, check out the Hub if you'd like a post ride beer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A very informative and empassioned group of replies. It sounds like New England riding on steroids.

I think I will hit the area in the Fall, I'll have that much more time during the summer to get fit so that I can ride more miles each day.

@jerry68: best endorsement!

@Mueller: thanks for the weather & trail tips.

@bank5: thanks for the cultural insight. I love towns that embrace cycling.

I'm still on the fence about what bike to bring .......

I love the light weight of my HT 29er for the climbs and flowy ST, but don't like the beating I might take on the technical descending.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I love the light weight of my HT 29er for the climbs and flowy ST, but don't like the beating I might take on the technical descending.
What's more important to you -- covering more miles or bombing down hills? I'm guessing some of the trails in the Granite State can get pretty rough. So if you're fine riding you're HT up there, I bet you'd be fine with it in Pisgah. If you're completely torn, I'd say bring your HT and go for mileage the first few days keeping note of your favorite descents. Then rent a FS the last day or two and let it loose.

When I rode Pisgah, I rode with a group of about 20 people. Most had fs, but the two strongest XC riders had HT 29ers. One of the guys was an extremely skilled rider and handled the technical down very well. He didn't have to let up descending that much but he did three times on one descent.

With all that said, the FS will be more fun :)

·
That's damn yankee to you
363 Posts
Come down and you might never go back. I grew up in NH and came here for college 13 years ago.....

You won't regret a visit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Don't listen to any of these post. It is just horrible. The trails are bad, the bears mean, and the people even meaner. Oh, and all the local beer and food is just unpalatable.

Nothing to see or do here, just run along now, all of you.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I lol'd when I read your post's title. Prompted me to reply here for the first time in several years. It's *definitely* worth it. Although I don't necessarily agree with Bike mag's headline (best kept secret? c'mon, it's been called a mecca since at least the late 90's...), the point is the trails are good. You'll love it.

For trail info and maps (gps), here's a little shameless self promotion:
MTB WNC

1 - 20 of 55 Posts