Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
70% of the miles I ride a hardtail is perfect. 20% is much better on a short travel FS.....but the thing is that last 10%....the really tough stuff......that benefits from more travel, and that 10% is what I'm out there looking for. But hey, some people are out there just trying to beat Strava times, thats not me.

·
Nobody
694 Posts
I have not read though the 16 pages of this post, but why are so many people wound up about what someone else is riding?

Buy the bike that makes you happy and allows you to do what makes you happy. End of story... If you have the means to own multiple bikes and that's what makes you happy, good on you!

·
Registered
227 Posts
A lot of people wondering why someone would bother with full suspension where they would use a hard tail must have really tough tailbones or something. I got sick of riding my Specialized Aluminum HT from 2014 on flat ground that had dried very hard with ruts and smallish bumps- couldn't go too much lower tire pressure wise. Even if the actual roots, rocks, minor drops and climbs weren't available on my trails I'd have traded just to be more comfortable in these visibly flat but rough areas, it's just noticeably more comfortable on a 130/140 FEX8 FS bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said here, I see 10k Yetis all the time on really easy flow trails. However, there are also many trails I ride that the 10k 150-160mm travel yeti would be best for.

It depends on where you live and what you ride. If you live somewhere with plenty of extremely steep rocky trails that most people wouldn’t even consider riding then the travel might be warranted.
I have an alloy stumpy with upgraded I9 wheels/hubs and 140 mm travel and it seems like almost the perfect bike for doing the steep rocky but also the flowy.
I even ride it at the bike park but there are definitely some down hill trails that I have to take it easy on because a longer heavier bike is needed.
It also rides uphill super well and is not too heavy but I do use 2.5 tires because I would rather not die on the down hill when I try to go way too fast.

For me a hard tail or less travel would def be not enough bike but a heavier enduro / all mountain bike because my legs are too weak currently and it would be silly to pedal such a heavy bike but in a few years when i’m stronger I may buy something with 150 - 160 travel.

There is definitely a sweet spot!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
70% of the miles I ride a hardtail is perfect. 20% is much better on a short travel FS.....but the thing is that last 10%....the really tough stuff......that benefits from more travel, and that 10% is what I'm out there looking for. But hey, some people are out there just trying to beat Strava times, thats not me.
Yes, this is also me lol!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hey...I'm building up a Specialized Enduro. 170 mm of travel front and back. I know very well I'm not going to be taking massive Red Bull Rampage style jumps or even taking it to a bike park. And I'm still going to ride conservatively but I like to have a rugged bike for the factor or safety. As has been pointed out ad infinitum on MTBR, if you're not racing other factors become more important for bike selection. In my case number one, two, and three are comfort followed by reliability and aesthetics. By reliability I mean not breaking spokes, snapping chains, or breaking critical and expensive parts at the wrong time.

The trails around here in Phoenix are pretty rough and some are somewhat technical. I've seen people riding them on hardtails and I could certainly do it but I don't want to. It's supposed to be a fun hobby.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My decision to buy a Ripley V4 was based on the trails I ride, what bike I was coming from and how I like the bike to feel.

I was riding a TB2 with 100MM of travel. I enjoyed that bike immensely. But I decided I wanted something that was a little more slack and with a little more travel. I am getting older and that seemed a reasonable concession to my age. That decision was grounded in the context of how my TB2 felt on my local trails here in NE Georgia and the trails in Western North Carolina and other Southeastern locales.

I also prefer to feel like my bike is at the limit of my ability to ride the trails I frequent. I want to feel the roots and rocks, not just float over them.

I have a good friend who has a Porsche 911. He's a self-made man, can afford the car, and I don't begrudge his decision to buy it. But he will never be able to push that car to its limits on the roads here and he doesn't track it. So he will never get the satisfaction of exploring its capabilities which are so far beyond what is legal and safe on our roads. I drive a Honda Accord Sport manual with a Hondata tune. I have a long commute that includes many back roads. Just driving to work, I am able to wring it out and explore its limits. My friend with the 911 couldn't do that, since that car doesn't really get exciting until 145 MPH and higher.

That's kind of how I feel about my bike. It is just enough bike for me to have fun.

·
Registered
985 Posts
My friend with the 911 couldn't do that, since that car doesn't really get exciting until 145 MPH and higher.
I assure you that Laguna Seca can wring out the most of a base 911 whether it’s taking turn 11 at 60 mph, or barely squeaking to 120 on the straightaway before turn 2, and hitting 1.3 g in turn, uh, 8? I think?

I guarantee loads of excitement and not much driving over 80 at all.

301 - 320 of 345 Posts