Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 317 Posts

·
No known cure
4,572 Posts
Every dual suspension trail bike I've owned since 1998 has been 140 rear and 150 front, except one.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For myself I prefer about 130mm of travel as it works for me, some places I could use less others I could use more. It works for me just like 27.5's do more so than 29's so I guess you just need to find what works for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 · (Edited)
Pahleez. It’s apparent you’re here for confirmation bias with a side of d!ck swinging.

I already basically told you I ride fire roads on my 170 bike. I also ride the things that, very likely, you want no part of.

This thread is a joke.
All because I asked a question? The industry has shifted alot in the last 10-12 years. I'm not sure why it hurts you so badly that I was curious about why today people are riding bikes with much larger travel. I ride the same trails today that I stopped riding in 08. Back then the biggest fork you'd see there was 140. Flash forward to today it seems like 160 is the norm with larger travel than that mixed in as well. Is it really that weird that I would wonder why? Since I havent purchased a fs bike yet, I'm Not quite sure what you think I need confirmation on. That being said, when I see how angry you're getting at this thread, that tells me more than any marketing ad will about why people today are choosing the bikes that they are. Sounds to me like you're the one doing the dick swinging.

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
For myself I prefer about 130mm of travel as it works for me, some places I could use less others I could use more. It works for me just like 27.5's do more so than 29's so I guess you just need to find what works for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
I totally agree.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All because I asked a question? The industry has shifted alot in the last 10-12 years. I'm not sure why it hurts you so badly that I was curious about why today people are riding bikes with much larger travel. I ride the same trails today that I stopped riding in 08. Back then the biggest fork you'd see there was 140. Flash forward to today it seems like 160 is the norm with larger travel than that mixed in as well. Is it really that weird that I would wonder why? Since I havent purchased a fs bike yet, I'm Not quite sure what you think I need confirmation on. That being said, when I see how angry you're getting at this thread, that tells me more than any marketing ad will about why people today are choosing the bikes that they are. Sounds to me like you're the one doing the dick swinging.
Hang on, you don't even currently ride a dually and you're going on about how much other people need? Riiiiiiight.

Maybe just chill mate? People have told you why. **** is different now. No that doesn't make you super mega hardcore 5000 cos you rode the same stuff 20 years ago at 0.3x the pace.

Go buy whatever you want and be happy!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
This sport and its participants have quite the history of shaming riders for being 'over- biked' & wearing protective gear.
When I first began riding on my first used 150 trail bike and in an old MX helmet I would hear something about my bike/ gear usually multiple times per ride. Mostly statements that indicated that I wasn't 'good enough' for either.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Hang on, you don't even currently ride a dually and you're going on about how much other people need? Riiiiiiight.

Maybe just chill mate? People have told you why. **** is different now. No that doesn't make you super mega hardcore 5000 cos you rode the same stuff 20 years ago at 0.3x the pace.

Go buy whatever you want and be happy!
Well.....since I don't currently own a dually but am in the market to buy one, I figured it might make sense to find out why some people these days are choosing longer travel bikes on the same trails that others run lesser travel bikes. I fully admit that I'm outta the loop as far as the industry goes now. Not sure what your issue is with me wanting to get other peoples perspectives and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
This sport and its participants have quite the history of shaming riders for being 'over- biked' & wearing protective gear.
When I first began riding on my first used 150 trail bike and in an old MX helmet I would hear something about my bike/ gear usually multiple times per ride. Mostly statements that indicated that I wasn't 'good enough' for either.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
Definitely not about shaming. Im currently on a hardtail and wear knee and elbow pads. The market is flooded with all sorts of bikes now. The lines are blurred between what to use and where to use it. All these different categories, trail, enduro, all mountain, etc. I go back to the early 2000's when everyone told me the Specialized SX Trail was too much bike for the local singletrack. Now I see people riding way heavier, longer travel bikes there. I dont know how the heck me asking this question turned into people taking it as a personal attack. I can assure you though that whatever bike I buy, I'll be happy enough with it that if I read some stupid thread on the internet I don't get sensitive about it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
At the end of the day, it's a hobby and sometimes piling on the bling is not a bad thing even if "you don't need it." I don't care if strangers are overbiked. I don't care if my wealthy friends are overbiked. I somewhat care if my friends who can barely afford the sport overbike and then regret it later and can't buy the bike that really suits the local conditions. I also somewhat care when I see local NICA kids I know overbike and get destroyed by 10 minutes in local XC races and wish they had different bikes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This. Why do people have such a boner over what other people ride, and whether they are using that hardware to its full potential?

Other hobbies don't have this problem.
not sure i'd say other hobbies don't have this problem....
There are plenty of people with $5K camera set ups taht can't take great pictures
The guy running 35s, a big lift and plenty of armor on his jeep and only has taken it on his dirt driveway.

There are plenty of other examples of people who go overboard on their equipment to ridiculousness and don't use any of the potential. I can point to any Ford Raptor that is in my area, there are no uses for them besides looking "cool", there are no deserts to race within 1000+ Miles.

Although our sport doesn't always applaud big travel compared to the above where bigger is always better. We can spend silly money and bling a short travel ride.

Listen, if a guy wants to ride a 170mm travel bike on a green trail around a lake, more power to him, but its the wrong tool for the job. He might be doing it b/c he normally needs that travel where he rides and just was out for the day. I dunno. I sometimes ride my full sus bike around the neighborhood with the kids.... is it ridiculous if that was why I had my bike, yah, but sometimes i feel like it rather than taking my BMX style 29er.

The safety argument only holds water to an extent. Want to go up in size of travel from what conditions dictate? sure. Riding a heavy duty enduro rig in a flat area that really is calling for something with 100- 120mm doesn't have a justification if that is where you're primarily biking, its just silly.

I'm certainly not going to stop you and tell you your bike is silly, thats what the internet is for.

I do get sick of hearing people spout advice about needing XYZ to go biking. They can't seem to get out of their own headspace and see things from others point of view.
That goes for the idiots who need 170mm to ride a 12 inch drop and the jerks on 100mm forked hardtails who say they don't understand why anyone needs a full sus bike, they can go on whistler's jumpline with their bike.

I'll throw in all the people who think you need a $2K hardtail to ride on anything more than a paved trail

·
Registered
303 Posts
At the end of the day, it's a hobby and sometimes piling on the bling is not a bad thing even if "you don't need it." I don't care if strangers are overbiked. I don't care if my wealthy friends are overbiked. I somewhat care if my friends who can barely afford the sport overbike and then regret it later and can't buy the bike that really suits the local conditions. I also somewhat care when I see local NICA kids I know overbike and get destroyed by 10 minutes in local XC races and wish they had different bikes.
This. I'll add that biking obviously has a rep for being a rich person's sport. Many of the responses when a beginner asks about a cheaper bike or old bike are cringe in my opinion, and probably turn those people away from the sport. Whereas if they asked the same thing in the reddit xbiking, they'd be that's rad you fixed up an old bike, and be more likely to get those people riding, even if it's easier trails.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I do get sick of hearing people spout advice about needing XYZ to go biking. They can't seem to get out of their own headspace and see things from others point of view.
I feel similarly about the arguments that hinge on what's needed to 'ride the terrain'. On my local trails there are a lot of people riding the same 'terrain' but certainly not in the same way. One rider might be tearing tires off the he rim in the same berm another rider has no issues in. Not everyone is hitting the same features/lines or with the same aggressiveness. One rider may say 110mm of travel is perfect for the terrain but then you find out they also can't jump and ride like a retired roadie. Or maybe someone says 160mm is best if you're going to shred all the local 'freeride' stuff but then you find out they're talking about 3 foot drops or something.

I'm not arguing for long travel or being over biked but I know that often (always?) the advice people give is colored by their personal experience and unless you know that person and how they ride you don't know the context of what they're saying.

·
Registered
21 Santa Cruz Chameleon
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
This thread definitely had nothing to do with money when I posted it.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy C
133 Posts
Hmmmm... What do you drive?
I think "someone" altered that quote. I didn't post any of what you have me quoted as saying.

This is what I posted...
"When I hear the term perfectly groomed my mind assumes smooth flow trail. I live and ride in the NY/NJ area and most trails are predominantly covered with rock and roots.
My Tallboy is my only mtb and 75% of the time it is all I need. "

181 - 200 of 317 Posts