Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a used kona stinky, and it is the first full suss bike i've had, also never had anything better than a rock shox jett before so i don't really have any shock experience to know what a good one should feel like. since where i live there isn't a descent, competant bike shop i don't know.

they rear vanilla is springy and tight. i screwed the cap to where you you can just move the spring and then turned it two turns tight. i get about 25% sag, but when i try to put my hands on the seat and throw my weight over the bike to test the shock it doesn't compress very far at all. i would think i couls get it close to bottoming out but i don't think it even compresses halfway, if that. i weigh 180 and it is a 600 x 225. it also seems more like a bed spring. it is bouncy. i don't know if this is how it is supposed to be or not. at the store i did sit on a new stinky and the shock felt alot diefferent more like how i think a shock should feel, not so boucy and springy. but i don't know for sure because this one had a 450 on it so i don't know if it just felt different because it is a looser shock. if my shock is messed can i get a new spring or is it gone.

and the marzocchi z-1 wedge on front. the store said they though it had recently been rebuilt but they are lying sacks, so it may or may not have been. anyways. it makes a shlushihng noise coupled with a creaking spring noise when compressed. it also doesn't really feel like the dirt jumper three that new stinky had. it isn't as smooth feeling. i adjusted it and it can be good and tight or loose, just not that smooth like the new one, i guess i would describe the new one like "butter" if that makes sense. is this shock just old? or do you think it is ok? otherwise what should i do. i want my bike working great.

thanks for taking the time to read this and give me some advice. i know it isn't possible to know for sure what, if anything is wrong, but i tried to describe it the best i could.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
few thoughts

A few thoughts step pby step.

they rear vanilla is springy and tight. i screwed the cap to where you you can just move the spring and then turned it two turns tight. i get about 25% sag, but when i try to put my hands on the seat and throw my weight over the bike to test the shock it doesn't compress very far at all. i would think i couls get it close to bottoming out but i don't think it even compresses halfway, if that. i weigh 180 and it is a 600 x 225. it also seems more like a bed spring. it is bouncy. i don't know if this is how it is supposed to be or not. at the store i did sit on a new stinky and the shock felt alot diefferent more like how i think a shock should feel, not so boucy and springy. but i don't know for sure because this one had a 450 on it so i don't know if it just felt different because it is a looser shock. if my shock is messed can i get a new spring or is it gone.

If it's Vanilla R, slow down your rebound. You can send your shock to Fox for rebuild and a lighter spring. Also, check your sag when you're sitting on the bike, not by pushing on it. See how far the shock travels on the shaft. Pushing on the saddle would not do any good for you.

and the marzocchi z-1 wedge on front. the store said they though it had recently been rebuilt but they are lying sacks, so it may or may not have been. anyways. it makes a shlushihng noise coupled with a creaking spring noise when compressed. it also doesn't really feel like the dirt jumper three that new stinky had. it isn't as smooth feeling. i adjusted it and it can be good and tight or loose, just not that smooth like the new one, i guess i would describe the new one like "butter" if that makes sense. is this shock just old? or do you think it is ok? otherwise what should i do. i want my bike working great.

"shlushihng noise" is normal, maybe you just need lighter springs/lighter oil to make it feel like "butter". Actually Wedge is a very unsuccessful model in my opinion.

thanks for taking the time to read this and give me some advice. i know it isn't possible to know for sure what, if anything is wrong, but i tried to describe it the best i could

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did messure sag by sitting on it and measuring from bolt to bolt before and after. i just meant when i was playing around with my cool new shock and standing next to the seat and pushing on the seat for fun and really putting my weight into it, it didn't go down very far.

·
Registered
9,276 Posts
Ride it.

northoceanbeach said:
i did messure sag by sitting on it and measuring from bolt to bolt before and after. i just meant when i was playing around with my cool new shock and standing next to the seat and pushing on the seat for fun and really putting my weight into it, it didn't go down very far.

Well how does it ride - is a better test.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fox does rebuild shox, It sounds to me like you may want to go that route. Let them know how it feels now, on what bike and all, what you weigh, and how you want it to feel. Also, It's good to set up with 1/3 travel in sag for DH use. That will get your rear into the ball park. In the fork, If it's too stiff or too soft, then you obviously will want to change out the springs, If it's just not damped enough, then try looking into new seels and a heavyer weight oil.
Normally I would tell you to go to a shop for that, but your local shops evedently suck. Try seeing if you can get a manual or diagram of how the fork goes together and take your time with it.
I hope that this helps out a bit.
Darin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts