Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Diamondback response with a Tora 318 Coil U-turn fork and I have 160 mm brakes. Would I be able to upgrade to new brakes with 180 mm or higher without any problems? let me know! thanks

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
seano26 said:
I currently have a Diamondback response with a Tora 318 Coil U-turn fork and I have 160 mm brakes. Would I be able to upgrade to new brakes with 180 mm or higher without any problems? let me know! thanks
As frdfandc noted your Tora is rated to a 203. So a 180 and up should be no problem. Your frame may be another matter though. Most hardtail frames will handle a 180. I say most will but you never know. It depends heavily on the design, thickness, etc. of the tubing used for the chain stay. On some designs a 180 or 203 rotor is simply to large and will make contact with the chain stay. Like I said, just depends on the bike. Most will take a 180 in the rear though. Just be aware that there are some frames out there that won't play well with them.

I would also recommend trying a 180 in the front and leaving the rear at 160mm. The reason being is this gives you more braking power in the front where it is needed and a little less (by comparison) in the rear, where it really isn't needed. It helps you keep the rear from locking up under braking and keeps you more in control. It also evens out the lever pull between the front and rear brakes. It can take a little getting used to having the more powerful brake up front. But once you do you'll find it much easier to modulate your brakes for any situation.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.