Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting the Tower Pro as a fork upgrade but the LBS guy said Manitou forks aren't too great. Note that he may have been generalizing the quality of ALL Manitou forks and may not have tried the Tower Pro. And if they are, will the Rockshox Recon Gold TK be a good substitute?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thinking of getting the Tower Pro as a fork upgrade but the LBS guy said Manitou forks aren't too great. Note that he may have been generalizing the quality of ALL Manitou forks and may not have tried the Tower Pro. And if they are, will the Rockshox Recon Gold TK be a good substitute?
change ur lbs:) recent Manitou forks are great stuff and abs+ dumper gets great reviews all around. Some say it's better than rockshock motion control. as for anything with tk dumper i would stay away...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
157 Posts
Manitou abs+ is good performance shim based damper that is better than motion control and you can't even compare that to TK (which is totally orifice based damper with poor performance). Abs+ damper is also highly tunable unlike motion control or turn key. Seems like that LBS guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Newer Manitou forks are exellent and price/performance ratio is very good (you most likely can't find anything better for the same price range).

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
Find a new LBS. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your LBS opinion on Manitou is not in line with the majority of riders that rock Manitou forks. Absolute+ damping, TPC+ damping are much more effective damping systems and more tunable and easier to maintain than most of RS and Fox offerings. X-Fusion has very good forks at incredible prices when compared to high end Fox/RS products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The LBS probably told you Manitou sucks cause they don't have much exposure to them. I went to numerous LBS's to check out forks and all they were rocking were Fox and Rockshox. It's natural for people to diss what they don't understand. I bought a Manitou Expert anyway based on all the positive online reviews. All I can say is this fork rocks. It is so smooth and buttery if you set it up correctly. When I first got it 3 months ago, it was set up for heavier riders (I weigh 165) so it wasn't as responsive on small bumps like roots. I wrote Manitou and their service rep sent me a bunch of shims to play with for free. I got it set up now where it is smooth and responsive over everything on the trail. And the tuning is real easy to do too, takes like 20 minutes with the right tools. If you got the tools and skills, I'd heli coil the lowers too. I kept messing with my brakes trying to adjust them and one of the post mounts finally stripped. If you constantly mess with the post mounts, I think they'd get stripped sooner or later. Magnesium is really soft stuff. If I had to buy another fork, I'd get a Manitou Expert Pro to save a lil weight, but the regular expert isnt that heavy anyway, I think 4 lbs. Can't get any better than this for the price you pay.

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
634 Posts
OK, seems like everyone on this thread just lurves Manitou... does that make them great? Errr... NO!! Seriously, I mean, some guy's wife has these forks, so that makes them good, does it? I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Manitou are alright, but I wouldn't buy them. The Durado was the DH racer's fork of choice for a while, performed well and was light, but over the years a lot of Manitou forks have been garbage. Take the Minute for example, or the Sherman, or the Travis, etc, etc...

How old is the bike mechanic at your LBS? I bet he's an oldschool dude, like me, 'cause I know exactly what he's talking about. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, Manitou forks were absolute crap; they were super flexy, had really bad seals, and were made out of cheese (lucky to last one season). However, to their credit, most other forks from that era were crap too... I'm looking directly at you Rock Shox. The only forks really worth having from the 90's were the Marzocchi Z series, nothing form that era came close to the classic Bombers. Though, even Marzocchi had some QC issues when production was moved from Italy to Taiwan in 2007-08.

So, in summation, good forks can come from unlikely places (as can bad forks), but overall, you choose your suspension on 1. reliability, and 2. performance. Comparatively speaking, Manitou don't have the best track record (to say the least) in either of these two primary criteria, so I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, seems like everyone on this thread just lurves Manitou... does that make them great? Errr... NO!! FFS, I'm so sick of all the know nothing tards on this website. Can we get some honest opinions from people who have a goddamn clue, and not just the same old samey advertising drivel? Is Gen Y even capable of independent thought?

Well, If you want something done...

Manitou are alright, but I wouldn't buy them. The Durado was the DH racer's fork of choice for a while, performed well and was light, but over the years a lot of Manitou forks have been garbage. Take the Minute for example, or the Sherman, or the Travis Intrinsic, etc, etc...

How old is the bike mechanic at your LBS? I bet he's an oldschool dude, like me, 'cause I know exactly what he's talking about. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, Manitou forks were absolute crap; they were super flexy, had really bad seals, and were made out of cheese (lucky to last one season). However, to their credit, most other forks from that era were crap too... I'm looking directly at you Rock Shox. The only forks really worth having from the 90's were the Marzocchi Z series, nothing form that era came close to the classic Bombers. Though, even Marzocchi had some QC issues when production was moved from Italy to Taiwan in 2007-08. So, good forks can come from unlikely places, but overall, you're better off choosing forks for their performance and reliability, and comparatively speaking, Manitou don't have the best track record.
Actually he was a pretty young guy, early 20's.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I think you need to rethink your take on Manitou. Judging a company on products from before the current ownership is pretty dumb. In 2010, Manitou introduced the new ABS+ damper which is one of the most tunable dampers on the market. Its very similar in design to Srams Mission Control(actually better because you can preload the shim stack). They also have a shimmed rebound damper which is something most other forks do not have, And is a really big deal. They do this and put it in ever single fork they make. There has been no bushing or seal problems since the Hayes group took over in late 2007 and there customer service is top notch. If your are a heavy or light rider, they will actually send you shims in the mail to custom tune your compression damper to give you the best performance possible.

It sounds to me like the old Manitou is all you have to form an opinion on. Look up reviews on any of the new Manitou forks, the reviews are always great.

·
Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
634 Posts
I think you need to rethink your take on Manitou. Judging a company on products from before the current ownership is pretty dumb.
Right, so judging a company by it's track record is dumb? Naturally, I should just forget my 20 years experience in mtb, and instead take on board the hard sell of some random on mtbr.

Really, no-one cares who owns Manitou, right? The fact is, there are plenty of suspension choices out there from other companies with very long and generally excellent traditions of reliability and performance, such as Marzocchi for instance. Why waste your time and money on one that doesn't?

In 2010, Manitou introduced the new ABS+ damper which is one of the most tunable dampers on the market. Its very similar in design to Srams Mission Control(actually better because you can preload the shim stack). They also have a shimmed rebound damper which is something most other forks do not have, And is a really big deal. They do this and put it in ever single fork they make. There has been no bushing or seal problems since the Hayes group took over in late 2007 and there customer service is top notch. If your are a heavy or light rider, they will actually send you shims in the mail to custom tune your compression damper to give you the best performance possible.
Mate, there's always something new, something to dazzle the kids, such as yourself. I'm sure all those crappy forks Manitou made in the past were "the shiznit" in their day as well, that's how marketing and advertising works; "Last years model was garbage, but this year they totally nailed it duuuuude!"

If you go back and read the so-called 'pro' reviews published at the time of product release, they're almost unanimous in their praise of these same forks that blew seals, leaked oil, felt like a wet noodle, and basically sh!t themselves after a season or two. ABS+, SPV, SPV Evolve, TPC+, FFD, IT, the list goes on... same BS, different year. It's not just Manitou, Rock Shox are exactly the same.

It sounds to me like the old Manitou is all you have to form an opinion on. Look up reviews on any of the new Manitou forks, the reviews are always great.
Like I said, the "new Manitou", gimme a break kid.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
You obviously have a bias against manitou. Your entitled to that. But the last 5 years of manitou forks and shocks have a very good track record. When the Hayes group took over, they scaled back production with a focus on quality.

People also dont care how long you have been riding, there are tons old riders that know nothing about bikes other than how to ride them. age means nothing, first hand experience is what matters. You have none of this with these forks.

I also laugh at " The fact is, there are plenty of suspension choices out there from other companies with very long and generally excellent traditions of reliability and performance, such as Marzocchi for instance."

You do know that Marzocchi is on the verge of bankruptcy right? That all the designers just quit to start there own suspension company because Marzocchi ownership is so bad? that Marzocchi dampers are so far behind in technology that its comical? Good call sport.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You obviously have a bias against manitou. Your entitled to that. But the last 5 years of manitou forks abd shocks have a very good track record. When the Hayes group took over, they scaled back production with a focus on quality.

People also dont care how long you have been riding, there are tons old riders that know nothing about bikes other than how to ride them. age means nothing, first hand experience is what matters. You have none of this with these forks.

I also laugh at " The fact is, there are plenty of suspension choices out there from other companies with very long and generally excellent traditions of reliability and performance, such as Marzocchi for instance."

You do know that Marzocchi is on the verge of bankruptcy right? That all the designers just quit to start there own suspension company because Marzocchi ownership is so bad. that Marzocchi dampers are so far behind in technology that its comical. Good call sport.:thumbsup:
I have the 2000 manitou sxr fork...
i never used it yet. is it any good by today's standards?

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
I've owned nearly every model of Manitou since the 2002 Black. Minutes, Blacks, Shermans, Nixon's, Dorado, Travis', Gold Label. The crazy thing is, I still have all of them. Frames come and go, but forks stay, for a reason, because they're great. If one has an issue, I know I have an excellent backup. I still run an 07 Nixon 160 Elite over the 36 TALAS 160 that came on my current frame. I replace Boxxer WC's with Travis', Reba's and Rev's with Minutes. The only Manitou's I've let go were the ones on my bikes when I was robbed. The only non manitou I currently ride is an Xfusion Velvet (second choice for quatlity fork!) on my SS and that's only because it's 650b. But now that Manitou is releasing a 650b specific Minute and Marvel I'll be selling the XF as soon as possible! The great thing about these forks is how user friendly they are. Completely user tuneable. And dampers are cheap so you can even run multiple, customed tuned dampers, for severely different terrain. In my Nixon, I'll have a TPC damper tuned with more low speed comp. for the flat, non technical pedally central oregon terrain, but when I'm riding steeper, faster more tech terrain on the westside, I'll pop in the TPC+ for the big hits and midstroke support. It literally takes 3 minutes, bam, differnet fork. The same can be done with the Absolute dampers, easy and inexpensive to tune and experiment with. Try that with a Fox, where you don't even know what you'll get when you turn the comp. knobs. Manitou even has a full on manual for different shim stack configs for different tunes, so you can't screw it up.

The only one's I haven't owned are the low end OEM ones the Splice, Stance, Axel which were legitimately crap. And these are the ones that most shop guys have had experience with in the past, because they're entry level oem crap that sells infinitely more units than the high end aftermarket stuff. And the people that buy that level of stuff, don't typically do their own maintenance or care for stuff so they just drop it off at the shop and say fix it or replace it and then the shop guys say this stuff is such crap, and so the snowball rolls...

Reactions: Whafe

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look guys, don't fight over such a dumb issue. I wanted advice about this brand, or more specifically the Tower Pro. Have either of you had experience with this fork? Otherwise, debate somewhere else. I'm pretty much sold on the fork btw, and one opinion out of dozens isn't going to change my decision.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.