Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here use the 2 piece or floating rotor from hope with Hayes mag series brakes.......

im runnig 6 inch wavy rotors now with my hayes mag plus setup and am curious if anybody out there is using the new hope rotors....ive heard that the el cams are not compatible so i figure i better find out if the mags are compatible....thanks

-Boz

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
As long as the bolt hole pattern is the same that is all that matters. Floating rotor means that when the pads contact the disc the rotor centers itself between the pads for more even pressure. A floating disc covers the problems of a solid caliper mount. Funny thing is now days they install spring washers to cut back on the noise the disc makes when floating.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I don't think that the Hopes rotors are "floating" either. I believe that they are a 2 piece design with a Large Rivet holding them together = no float.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya i dont know what ya call them, ive seen the words floating and two piece associated with them...

however thanks for input, i emailed Hope USA and they said it was cool and that i could order custom colored 2 piece rotors from them and it would only take a week to get....sweet

Hello red anodized 2 piece brake rotors :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Ive got mine installed with shimano xtr calipers... they are not 'floating', rather called that because the centre aluminium part is separated from the steel rotor with larger rivet type bolts. This enables them to run cooler and also be much lighter, my 160mm ones came in at 91g a piece

1 - 7 of 7 Posts