Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 258 Posts

·
One of the Many
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would have started a sh!tfight other places, probably will here too.:D

I have spent a couple of weeks on the hardtail while the duallie was out of action while I was dealing with Monza.:madman: Last weekend I got back on the 5.5 and was totally underwhelmed by the difference. Very nice smooth ride, no doubt, but just lacking that edge. Pick a line? Nah, just ride through it, thats what the travel is for. The time on the hardtail did sharpen me up somewhat but I get lazy as soon as there is a shock under my arse.

Now I'm not going to the rigid or 29er extreme, just building up my hardtail with dual rings upfront and some of the other gear from the 5.5 to trial for a while, but I'm having trouble seeing why I'd build it again.

I'm also looking at getting another hardtail as the new fun bike to ride on JPG's pump track and other similar riding.

So my question is, Are hardtails more fun or is it just me?
Or the alternate wording, Am I turning into TR? (I hope not, fat men look silly on roadbikes.):lol:

·
Brisbane, Australia
308 Posts
A hardtail is all most people need for Bris' mild trails :)
I was really surprised how fast/manageable my rigid bike was to ride in Daisy when I first rode it....and found a renewed interest in the place *yawn*

·
Registered
298 Posts
Once you get rid of that double ring up the front and that ugly thing haning off the back you'll find how fun hey can really be.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've got a FS and i'm building up a SS bike.The trail i normally ride is being turned into a smooth bike trail which i can see me using the SS on and the FS out at Menai.Be interesting to see what times i'll do on the SS:eek:

·
Registered
226 Posts
What, TR hasn't weighed in with his humble opinion regarding gears, suspension, small wheels yada yada yada etc? You get the idea.

That should bring him out. He He

·
Registered
17 Posts
I certainly can have fun on my SS HT around Daisy though the Rush is a nice option to have .....an option I seem to take more casue I'm soft :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it comes down the the horses for courses argument. Most of the riding around Brisbane is tame and riding it on a full sus just takes the fun out of it, so if that’s all you ride then a hard tail could be the way to go. That said I'm not giving up my sexy Enduro any time soon. Its great to have a bike that you know can handle whatever you throw at it, and no matter what conditions you come up against you'll be able to ride and have a lot of fun. Case in point I'm heading back home to Tassie for a few weeks over Christmas, and I know that I'll be loving the full suspension for bombing downhill or bouncing over rocks on Mt Wellington. It think if your riding somewhere new you can’t go passed a great solid FS bike.

That said I also have a Da Bomb Sputnik which is great fun to take out on the street for a bit of a fiddle, but too small for a trail bike. Oh and I've found that my fixed gear road bike has made road riding go from :sleep: to :D

If I end up in Brisbane again I can see my self joining the rigid 29er crowd (maybe even fixing it), but then again maybe those big wheels will make it all to easy and I should go for a 24" rigid clown bike. Hmmmm small wheels making bike paths a challenge.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Nope...nope...

Neildy said:
This would have started a sh!tfight other places, probably will here too.:D

I have spent a couple of weeks on the hardtail while the duallie was out of action while I was dealing with Monza.:madman: Last weekend I got back on the 5.5 and was totally underwhelmed by the difference. Very nice smooth ride, no doubt, but just lacking that edge. Pick a line? Nah, just ride through it, thats what the travel is for. The time on the hardtail did sharpen me up somewhat but I get lazy as soon as there is a shock under my arse.

Now I'm not going to the rigid or 29er extreme, just building up my hardtail with dual rings upfront and some of the other gear from the 5.5 to trial for a while, but I'm having trouble seeing why I'd build it again.

I'm also looking at getting another hardtail as the new fun bike to ride on JPG's pump track and other similar riding.

So my question is, Are hardtails more fun or is it just me?
Or the alternate wording, Am I turning into TR? (I hope not, fat men look silly on roadbikes.):lol:
The answer to this question depends on several things ...........

1: Are you a big wuss?

2: Are the trails you ride really really rough?

3: Are you a big girls' blouse?

4: Is your name 'Foshizzle' ?

Most trails can be ridden on a HT. Hell ! .... most trails can be ridden on a damn rigid !

Unless the locations that you ride regularly demand a full susser, then the answer is .....

'No'.

Suspension was invented by the Devil Himself. You don't need no damn stinkin' suspension. Be a man and ride a HT......unless you want to end up a big gurl like Foshizzle.

R.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fun, what is the meaning of this word:rolleyes:
For me it's about what would be the fastest on a fairly technical trail. So that's why I'll be getting a short travel, 80mm, duallie in the new year.
5 1/2 inches is probably overkill on most Brissy trails, how about 4 inches, ElSaltamontes/Blur/Stumpy/Trance etc

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an 06 X5 Ventana and a 97 Norco Team Issue hardtail now too. Only ridden the X5 once in 4 months because the Norco's rear rim was being replaced. I agree with all you said Neildy, the riding is so much more fun when you are feeling the trail. PS, the X5 frame is for sale too.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Gordyau said:
What, TR hasn't weighed in with his humble opinion regarding gears, suspension, small wheels yada yada yada etc? You get the idea.

That should bring him out. He He
No sense saying what everybody already knows Gordy. :D

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
PNW said:
Fun, what is the meaning of this word:rolleyes:
For me it's about what would be the fastest on a fairly technical trail. So that's why I'll be getting a short travel, 80mm, duallie in the new year.
5 1/2 inches is probably overkill on most Brissy trails, how about 4 inches, ElSaltamontes/Blur/Stumpy/Trance etc
Where is sthis mythical trail you speak of Pete.
Still have not found a trail in Brisbane (barring DH courses) that cannot be ridden on my rigid SS 29er.

·
One of the Many
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's looking more and more likely the 5.5 frame will be for sale soon too Cruz.:skep:

·
Girt by sea.
464 Posts
Hey Pete - how good a salesman are you? Tell me why I would want to buy your NRS when you are upgrading to a HT because it's more fun .... ;)

Cheers,
Graeme (riding an XTC ....)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Kalgrm said:
Tell me why I would want to buy your NRS when you are upgrading to a HT because it's more fun .... ;)
:D

The NRS is a good XC platform but no longer suits my riding. A totally different geometry on the HT just makes it much more fun for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hopefully my new hardtail will make it here from the US of A after all and be ready in a couple of weeks time.

Neildy, we can always hang them on the wall behind the bar like fishermen do with their biggest catch.

·
One of the Many
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's a lot of money to hang on wall...

What HT did you end up getting?
I'll end up with at least one Santa out of this.

1 - 20 of 258 Posts