Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Stevebiker said:
If they are, do they use simular frames and such? Buddy of mines is lookin to get a bike and said that Gaint makes Trek. I'd never heared that before.
Sure are, first cousin's, once removed on their mother's side :D

Seriously though they're "not related" just GIANT makes/manufactures frames for a lot of bike companies and TREK is prob one of them.

·
AndyFSR
85 Posts
Trek Owns

Stevebiker said:
If they are, do they use simular frames and such? Buddy of mines is lookin to get a bike and said that Gaint makes Trek. I'd never heared that before.
Trek owns and manufactures, as I know it, Fisher Bikes, Klein Bikes, and Trek bikes in Wis. There may be others.
I do not know what else Giant Manufactures, but they use a frame builiding outfit in Taiwan. Trek also has some of the lower end frames built in Taiwan too.

...I go downhill like a faling safe...and climb like I am dragging one.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Giant is the" Mother" of all Frame makers!

Ha ha! Yeah, Giant used to be just a contract frame maker for several "big box" brands. Then they struck out on their own, way back in the late 80's, while still servicing the other brands. Today, Giant makes several of the Trek, Specialized, Jamis, and other brands bike models. Perhaps the two bikes you saw looked similar because just about every hardtail out there, made out of aluminium, is a "cookie cutter" design, with very few details to differentiate one brand from another. Take the decals and paint off most of these bikes and you'd be hard pressed to tell which bike was which. Full suspension is a little different in that respect, although several companies are gravitating towards similar designs.

By the way, Giant is not just "Taiwan" manufacture, as they also build out of China. As a matter of fact, more bikes with "Trek", "Giant", or any other "big" name are coming out of China now than they are from Taiwan.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Ha ha! Yeah, Giant used to be just a contract frame maker for several "big box" brands. .
That's almost right, Giant made bikes for Schwinn, that's how they started.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Stevebiker said:
Not the same company but Giant probably made at some point or still does some of the lower end Trek frames. Trek makes their higher end stuff in house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.