Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
giant does make the low budget treks as well as most of other brands
most bicycles in the world are made in 2 big taiwan factories the ones owned by giant and merida respectively

·
2010 Glory custom FR
1,098 Posts
Giant's taiwanese factory produces mid and high end bikes for Trek, Specialized and many other world brands
where else could it be done? ;)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Giant started out back in the 70's making bikes and frames for Schwinn in the mid 80's they started making bikes labeled as Giant. Giant is the largest "producer" of bikes in the world. Trek only produces the OCLV bike now. Some Trek's come labeled as hand built in the USA which is true, the frames are shipped in from Asia and the bike is built up here the the good ole' USA. Kenisis is also a major suplier to Trek, they also build Jamis, Raliegh and Kona

·
Registered
938 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
applegreenheckler would be the most correct.
yup! That is the plain truth all Specialized, Trek and Scott lovers - ttey can't even make a frame for their bikes!! And building up the bike itself, how hard is that?! even I ca do it!!

;)

Giant rocks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
You're all welcome to believe whatever you want. :)
Well why don't you just call Trek,Specialized or Scott and ask who makes there frame's?
Or are you afraid of the truth. As above stated everything is made in Asian factories. Unless you want to pay top-dollar it is not made in the US.

Dan Mitchell

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ray_from_SA this is not some kind of a gossip, but official data you know. The other real bike manufacturer is Merida, which has its own productions plant in Taiwan/China.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
BS, the only Treks produced outside the USA are those which cost below $1000, the rest are hand built in the USA.
No matter where Treks are made... the only Trek better than any Giant is the one under Lance (BTW... I guess the Telekom won the TDF Team's Classification aboard Giants)...

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Trek produces most of their bikes in Taiwan. From what i know, all the hybrid bikes are made in taiwant at Giant.

Their mountain bike are mostly made in Taiwant except for the Liquid, Fuel, Fuel EX and Session.

The OCLV road bikes are all handmade in the states and the 2000 series also. The models below are all taiwant.

It's easy to know where they come from. When we receive the bikes, they have 3 different types of boxes and labels. Some have different inscriptions on the box.

And most people here are right... Giant does make bike for specialized and Trek. Merida is the second biggest bike producer in Asia.

There is even a factory that builds EVERYTHING that they use for the bike except the bike chains that they get from outside. Imagine that, they even produces the box that they ship the bikes in and the wrapping paper and all... It's amazing... They employ something like 45 000 people and have their own bus terminal...

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
I'm not disputing the fact that some of Trek's frames are made in Taiwan and others are made in China, I know this for a fact.
The difference is I do work for a Trek dealer and know which Trek frames are made where, and yes some are made at Giant, but not all.

And to further clarify, I worked for a Giant dealer previously, own a Giant XTC, and have not once disputed the quality of Giant although I have doubted them briefly recently, which is altogether different story.

So fellas, stop getting uptight, I haven't disagreed outright that Giant fabs for Trek, I just said not everything comes from Giant.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ray_from_SA said:
I'm not disputing the fact that some of Trek's frames are made in Taiwan and others are made in China, I know this for a fact.
The difference is I do work for a Trek dealer and know which Trek frames are made where, and yes some are made at Giant, but not all.

And to further clarify, I worked for a Giant dealer previously, own a Giant XTC, and have not once disputed the quality of Giant although I have doubted them briefly recently, which is altogether different story.

So fellas, stop getting uptight, I haven't disagreed outright that Giant fabs for Trek, I just said not everything comes from Giant.
Meridia makes all the low end stuff for specialized and Giant makes the high end stuff including the FSR's. Meridia owns 49% of Specialized but Giant make the higher end stuff for them. Does'nt that seem odd to you or is Giant that much better of a manufactuer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.