Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently mounting components on a Trek STP 200 frame. The frame had no cables with it when I purchased it. Are there any factory cables available for this frame or do I have to cut them myself? I am using Shimano XT V brake and shifter levers. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Goto LBS. . .

I purchased my cables from the LBS. I believe that the cables only comes in one length. Cut them down to size. Specify that you need both the shifter and brake cables. The brake cables are thicker than the shifter cables. Also, make sure that you have a sharp cable cutter. If the cutter is not sharp, it will fray the ends. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Mudrun said:
I am currently mounting components on a Trek STP 200 frame. The frame had no cables with it when I purchased it. Are there any factory cables available for this frame or do I have to cut them myself? I am using Shimano XT V brake and shifter levers. Any advise would be appreciated.
so, it has cable housing but no cables?
if it were me, I'd buy new housing & cables.

1 trick for cutting cables cleanly is to put a drop or 2 of superglue where they need to be cut when installed, let dry, then cut. they won't fray as easily.
It's best to use proper cable cutters (wire cutters will smash cables) or a dremel tool w/ cutoff wheel.

check out speedub-nate's threads for the bomb instructions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130064

·
Registered
4 Posts
All cables are pretty much the same other than whether they're teflon coated etc. but it doesnt matter if they're "factory", they're all made in factories. You just need 2 standard mtb brake cables and 2 standard mtb shift cables. Put a liquid lube like tri-flow on them, route them, adjust brakes/derailleurs, trim excess cable, cap and crimp cables. IDK if anyone sells cable end caps online since i dont really shop online but i know for a fact that your lbs has tons of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.