Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious because I used to see Enve a lot more but I feel like ever since that PB article there reputation was a bit tarnished. When I see people on them I often wondered outside of the bling aspect, are they worth it over other excellent competitors like NOBL, SC Reserves and We Are One? Or is it just the Enve name that draws people in?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,052 Posts
many of the wheel options on the market have stronger local penetration in some places than others.

do you live somewhat near ENVE? I live near I9, so I see more of their wheelsets at the high end than anything else. They used to use Reynolds for their carbon, but are now WAO, IIRC. Second would probably be Reserves. Also NOX.

I used to live near the Zipp factory, and saw TONS of Zipp road wheelsets. Most of the ENVE wheels I've seen were road ones. Can't recall if I've ever seen ENVE mtb wheels.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Business 101. They were one of the first companies building CF wheels, not the only one and probably not the first one, but the first to really go all-in as the product type and get established as such.

But the reality in business is that someone will come along and do what you do better, faster, cheaper, more efficiently, etc. So you gotta keep reinventing yourself, refining, reaching new markets, having new products debut, etc. This kind of goes along the lines of how Niner was unique and in a niche when they came out, no one else was building 29er bikes across the board...but not everyone does it, there's nothing unique anymore. Why would you get one? It doesn't make Niner or Envy a bad product, unless there are specific reasons why said product is inferior, but it also doesn't give you any special reason to go with them over the various competitors that now exist. Envy was also locked in some smaller/skinnier rim configs when the newer guys realized that wider was where the market was going, so they were kind of lagging fairly early.

So to answer the question, it's probably the name and still trying to ride that initial wave that is subsiding quickly. They've now started producing alloy components like stems...like, well, every other component manufacturer. So some hard questions are going to need to be asked on what they bring to the table.

·
This place needs an enema
17,647 Posts
I build them when people insist.

That situation aside, it's hard to see where the value is. Decent rims, but there are a fair few other options that are every bit as good, with equal post-sale support, for a lot less money,

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
My curiosity is why couldn't ENVE adapt?

Does it cost that much for them to produce their products that they still need to charge that premium?

They are still making lots of money with their current customer base?

Hubris?

Other?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,322 Posts
after seeing ENVE rims sliced open, and seeing the same old voids and number of defects [any other CF rim maker might have] I realized they are just ordinary good enough CF rims...so not worth added cost of you want a rim size and type that is cheaper, get whatever you want to afford that has a warranty for defects. no they are not x-raying or ultrasound each one and making sure it won't go out the door with a defect. 'cuz they do get into the market with flaws.

myself...we are one rims

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just a personal opinion, but Enve rims make it seem like they don’t or maybe didn’t in the beginning, know what they are doing. Adding carbon and making a super stiff rim is relatively easy, and Enves are SUPER stiff! When you statt adding compliance and shaving grams is when real design and manufacturing expertise is needed.

If my bike came with Enves I would probably ride them but not in a million years would I pay 2,5k for their rims.

·
Registered
795 Posts
When I started mtb back in 2014, nothing screamed "dentist bike" like Enve wheels. The huge logos let everyone know the bike was a top of the line build. Nowadays, I don't think any MTB brand packages their top end builds with Enve. And when you're spending $2k on wheels, you're gonna do your research, and being carbon and light is not enough anymore.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
In that price range, I would suggest Crank Bros Synthesis wheels. I only have my CB wheels with I9 hubs because I was able to get them at a steep discount. I would not pay full price for Enve or CB wheel sets because that amount of money for wheels is ridiculous. Enves are needlessly stiff and uncomfortable. CB synthesis wheels are compliant and stiff where it needs to be and are incredibly durable. Their customer service is second to none as well. For warranty issues, they’ll pay for shipping to and from their facility to replace and relace your wheel. Or you can have them send you a replacement rim at no cost to you.

I would personally opt for WAO wheels if I had to pay full price for something, however.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had the opportunity to demo my exact bike with Enve rims being the only difference and didn't care for them - too stiff for my taste, can't say WHICH model they were and I understand that some are more compliant than other in the line. I ended up with Nox Composites and am very happy with them

YMMV

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
When I started mtb back in 2014, nothing screamed "dentist bike" like Enve wheels. The huge logos let everyone know the bike was a top of the line build. Nowadays, I don't think any MTB brand packages their top end builds with Enve. And when you're spending $2k on wheels, you're gonna do your research, and being carbon and light is not enough anymore.
That's kind of my point, not the dentist logos, but the fact that high end bicycle companies were specing them...only a matter of time until those companies either figured out how to make their own, or contracted with someone for something at a cheaper price with either no giant logo or their own bicycle company logo on them. Inevitable.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Some people are willing to pay a premium for made in the US parts, there’s nothing wrong with that if that is a priority for you. Of course you can make an equally good product much cheaper overseas. Personally I always hated the fact that with Enves you have to remove the tire and rim tape to true, or replace a spoke.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Some people are willing to pay a premium for made in the US parts, there's nothing wrong with that if that is a priority for you. Of course you can make an equally good product much cheaper overseas. Personally I always hated the fact that with Enves you have to remove the tire and rim tape to true, or replace a spoke.
Who else manufactures in the USA/Canada?

I know/thought not all of ENVEs products are mfg in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
The first time I came across Enve wheels were when they were still called Edge. It was the road wheels I saw first. At the time the other wheels to "have" were ZIPPs. I got a chance to ride them...and I couldn't really tell much of the difference compared to my ZIPP 404s.

They were around at the time where carbon wheels weren't all that common on mountain bikes. They were expensive and pretty exclusive. The price of carbon wheels were the main factor that kept carbon wheels exclusive. Now...ever since the open mold carbon rim became available out of China...just about anybody can afford carbon wheels. You can build up a set of carbon hooped wheels for $600-$800 bucks if you don't go with super fancy hubs. I built up a few sets with Hope and DT Swiss 350 hubs for well under 1k per pair.

Maybe if I was going for that all out money no matter build...

Enve does make their rims in the US. I think their components are made overseas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.