Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new set of wheels on order for a bike that currently has only rim brakes. Since I put the order in I was given the blessing of a new set of Avid BB 7 disc brakes.

The wheels I ordered have disc hubs, but the rim brake version of the Mavic 719 rim.

Is there any benefit to having the disc only version of this rim? Is the disc version stronger? Or is it just a cosmetic thing?

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am not worried as much about weight as I am about strength and durability. I am coming off a set of 217 SUP wheels that have run very straight and true through 14 years of riding, including me being in clydesdale weight for much of it. I figure the XM719 rims will deal with things handily. They will put up with 30 less human pounds than the 217's had to deal with, but I am getting a bit more aggressive with my riding.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a set of mavic 717 rim brake rims on a set of hope's SS hubs

and a set of mavic 717 disc only rims on a set of chris kings

the mavic disc only's are a about 15gms lighter IIRC and supposedly stronger, because of no machining on the side of the rim.

now since switching to disk brakes I will only use disk only rims, never plan on going back to rim brakes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.