Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to lose weight and doing ok job, but I like having several cans of diet pepsi per day. They don't have any calories, and I like the taste. Anything wrong with that? I know that it has Aspartame which is the artificial sweetner, but before anyone replies with fatality predictions for ingesting something man made, I think that you'd have to have high concentrations injected into your bloodstream for this to be harmful. Think Sweet and Low.

·
Gus, just Gus.
147 Posts
The only problem I have with diet soda is the aspartame... not because I think it might suddenly kill me... but because for some reason it triggers hunger. I get cravings for food when I drink too much diet soda. When I drink mostly water, I don't have the same problems.

I can't bring myself to quitting my diet pepsi though... I love it! Not to mention the caffeine addiction!

·
Praying for rain!
83 Posts
Sugar is an acid, therefore horrible for the teeth. Diet sodas don't have sugar so are better but they do usually have citric acid as the #1 ingredient. Also bad for teeth, but not nearly as much as sugar.

This may not be an issue for you, but 1 root canal changed my habits. There is some serious pain associated with that procedure.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Diet Sodas linked to Weight Gain
Link above is a slow loader...

I read the first page, but it loads too slow for me to read on so I will take a guess at it.

I presume that people get the mentality and I am not saying this is you but just speaking in general that if they drink a diet soda that they can eat more food or food with a higher calorie count than they would had they drank the regular soda. Or that just by drinking the diet soda, that they are on a diet.

Nothing is better for you than plain old water. Of course, if you are like me, I am not the most avid plain water fan. Growing up in the good ole USA, been spoiled on soda and flavored drinks. I am a tea drinker and I use artifical sweetners like Sweet N Low and Splenda. I drink diet peach tea snapple regularly.

I, do however, exercise regularly and watch what I eat in addition to drinking drinks that are low in calories. It doesn't hurt to treat yourself to even a regular soda once in a while just have to do it in moderation. If you restrict yourself too much, you are gonna burn out and end up blowing it.

Sorry for the elongated rant, but in general, I don't think diet soda is bad for you just as long as you keep it in moderation and remember it isn't a substitute for diet and exercise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The biggest health concern is formaldehyde. When aspartame is heated above 80 something degrees, the wood alcohol in Aspartame is converted to formaldehyde.

Some scientists disagree with the theory above, but I saw an episode of MythBusters where the body did convert Aspartame in Diet Coke to formaldehyde. And you know if it's on TV it MUST be true ;)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Its all about moderation, finding a balance....................

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i read that article and it's a classic news hook attention grabbing headliner. 'Drink diet soda and you will get fat."

However, so strategically, they've put the disclaimer on the second page.

"Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity. "

being linked is VERY different than saying that diet soda is a direct cause of weight gain. Maybe diet soda drinkers are typically lazy? or eat 3 bags of cheetos with their diet sodas?

What a joke.

i've changed to diet because i also wanted to stay away from sugar. splenda has been real popular these days, i've read that the 'sulacrose' that makes up the splenda has potentially harmful effects too,:

"The chemical process to make sucralose alters the chemical composition of the sugar so much that it is converted to a chlorinated fructo-galactose molecule by their patented process. This type of sugar molecule does not occur in nature and therefore your body does not possess the ability to metabolize it properly. As a result of this "unique" biochemical make-up, McNeil Nutritionals makes its claim that Splenda is not digested or metabolized by the body, making it have zero calories.
It is not that Splenda naturally has zero calories. If your body had the capacity to metabolize it, then it would no longer have zero calories."

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Well if your goal is to lose weight, diet soda isn't the greatest thing but you could certainly be doing worse. The aspartame isn't something I would worry about... the main health problems caused by aspartame are on a small percentage of people who have a condition called phenylketonuria... aspartame contains an amino acid called phenylalinine and phenylketonurics cannot naturally regulate levels of that in the brain. Normal people have no problem regulating that substance. Excess levels, however, lead to a variety of health problems.

Someone else brought up the biggest factor in dieting. Yes diet soda does often make you hungry. The reason behind this is due to an insulin response in the body triggered by the sweetness of the soda. True, it has no sugar, but studies have shown recently that our bodies release insulin also on the perception of incoming sugar. This released insulin then lowers you blood sugar and your body wants it replaced so you feel hungry.

With that said...I still drink diet soda (prob 1 per day or two) and I don't see anything wrong with it. You can also try things that you can control the concentration of...crystal light is my drink of choice..mixed at half strength.

·
Three sheets to the wind
736 Posts
No dis intended but most soda is crap. Just look at the ingredients: There are plenty of other wholesome products to drink. I personally have never really drank soda, even as a kid. I've stuck with lots of water, real juices and teas. When I ride hard I will include a supplement, usually Acelerade. I believe you'll be hard pressed to find any nutritionist that will recommend soda over the aforesaid products. That being said, I'm sure there's plenty of who folks enjoy sodas, I know some who live in my house, but if you really think about it, soda is a lot like chips and all the other junk food out there. But like the Whafester says, moderation is the best way to approach the matter.

As far as dieting, may I offer my plan? I eat like a pig after the season and get up as high as 220 lbs.(I'm 6-2), but in January I go into a calorie diet, I pick a calorie number with the advice of my nutritionist, usually around 1500 or so per day. I also tend to graze instead of big meals. What I find is that all the other stuff like carbs and fats fall into place just fine. When I get down to a target weight, like 200 or so, I start training-cardio and free weights, which starts a weight gain but thats what I MUST do to avoid muscle loss from calorie deprivation.
Tha's pretty much what the plans out there do, but they balance the meals. But anyways, it works for me....

·
Registered
34 Posts
when i wason my strictest ever diet (below 5% bodyfat) i used to eat those small square nutrasweet thingies, and i ate like 10-15 of them just to put a lid on the cravings. and believe me KETO-diets are tough on u. Also i frose concentrated diet Juice and ate instead of icecream.Oddly enough the cravings were worse in the summer than winter, and there were no alterations in my diet. I kept this nonsense up for like three years, measuring 4-8% bodyfat. those were some cold winters:D
still to this day, i only drink sodas containing sugar when i'm hung over, otherwise i'll go with the diet ones. oh, yeah, i'm way above those 8% now:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Take this FWIW but a friend of my wife was mis-diagnosed with Hepatitis C. After many tests that eventually ruled it a false positive the doc asked what she drinks. She said Diet Coke. He said that the aspartame at times will cause a false positive for Hep C. I had this same problem over a year ago and the military doc I was seeing made the same comment. Like I said take it FWIW. In the end nothing beats a good glass of Alaskan water.

Mike

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Anyone have any carticles or anything citing a correlation between aspartame and liver problems? I'll do some looking myself as I haven't heard about this. Take into account though that some things do cause false positives and it isn't nesessarily an indicator of a problem. e.g. I did find out first hand that eating large quantites of eggs will often yield a false positive on a TB test...strange stuff

·
Registered
874 Posts
I'm trying to lose weight also and I've cut out sodas all together. Water and V-8 juice and Black coffee are what I've been drinking. I'm learning to handle being hungry.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Want to lose weight? Exercise! Twenty minutes or more of aerobics every day. So this for six months and you can eat anything and not get fat.

Thing is, if you do twenty minutes or more of aerobics every day for six months, you won't WANT to fill yourself up with Diet Pepsi and all that other crap.

You just haven't been doing this for long enough. So, shut down the computer and ride. Now!

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I hav... had a cousin that drank a lot of Diet Pepsi. She drank a lot. 6 a day? More? I don't know.

She began having brain tumors. One after the other. Shortly before she died, she stated that she was certain that the Diet Pepsi was the cause.

I don't drink the stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.