Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just wondering if anyone has tried out clark 6pot disc brakes, and if so are they good? also is it worth getting them with 203mm rotors? thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm guessing you ordered the skeletal, right? i don't know if you have any experience with the Hayes Stroker ryde or trail, but those are the others i'm interested in so any kind of comparison would be super helpful. take pics when you get them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I spoke to a buddy in CA that works at a shop. They just fot a pair for demo and he said to save my money. The design is clean, but he questions the durability/longevity. I bit the bullet and ordered some XT 775s. They seem to be the better brake over what Avid has to offer and until I get the coin for some Hopes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have clarks front hydraulic disks on my marin, in the biggest size (200mm?). i bought from an ebay seller in uk. they are great, VERY powerful stopping, but also very easy to moderate and dont grab although occasionally rub but i suppose thats a bit of grit or something!

seem like a high quality bit of kit.

i fitted them must be getting on for two years ago, and havnt had any trouble with them, in spite of fitting em myself (was then new to disk brakes and bikes in general). tbh i never think about them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I got a rear Clarks SX skeletal brake in 185mm guise to try out.

Manufacturers RRP is £69.99, about $102 at current exchange rate

Chainreactioncycles have them at £45, about $65.

Those prices are for the lever, caliper, rotor, rotor bolts, caliper bolts and a spare set of brake pads. So not a bad deal.

Hose length is 1490mm on my set and the standard black PTFE type. I've seen they do a braided set.

So, first impressions. Well quality looks OK. The caliper is a single forged body and looks similar in size and shape to an early Hayes model. The powder coat finish is slightly rippled and you can see a line from the mould. Looks strong though and is a lighter body than the early Hayes.

The Post to IS mount looks like an Avid type one but is thinner. Bolts are your cheapy steel type with washers.

For pad replacement there is tiny pad retaining pin and they slip out at the back, rather than the toploading i'm used to with the shimano brakes. One plus is that the pistons are magnetic (on my set anyway) and the pads just 'found' their way in place. Super easy.
I don't like the retaining pin though as it just seems abit weak and it's tiny. About 70% smaller than a shimano pad retaining pin.

The brake lever body is again a single forged piece in the now in vogue 'servo' style.It looks and feels solid. The body is a split clamp design which i love. The lever design feels great and it's a solid bit of metal. There is a nice wide flat profile which i prefer to my shimano brakes (m756 lever). You could fit 3 fingers on the lever profile. At the top of the lever are 2 adjustment screws. One adjusts the lever reach and the other adjusts the pads.

The pads look tiny. I took a picture compared to the other brakes i run at the moment. Top is a M755 shimano XT 4 pot brake pad, then a M800 Saint pad and the bottom is the Clarks SX pad. I reckon it is at least 10% smaller than the M800 pad.

Well, that's the cosmetics. How do they feel?

Grabby, or is that 'sharp' in other peoples vocab? But then this is them new out of the box. The only brake, so far, that felt nice (nice=not too grabby and modulated well) new out of the box was a shimano Deore ones (M535) Also, i'm running a 185mm rotor as well. I adjusted the lever closer to the bar and for some reason that felt much better. I can feel abit of modulation so maybe once worn in there will be more.

They are strong though. Maybe it's due to the piston size being larger than the Saint M800 model and the pad area been smaller. Pressure=Force/Area. Maybe. (I measure a Saint M800 piston at 16mm diameter and the Clarks SX model at 20mm - so 25% larger)

I've only used them on a few short blasts on my play bike and they certainly feel like they are up to the job and the white matches my bike :) And for that style of riding the brake suits it.
I will see how they hold up but for now i'm reasonably happy.

Would i buy them again?

Well at £45 (($65) from CRC it's hard to pass up. In the same region as Shimano Deore brake but you get spare pads and a rotor. Sold.

If you had to pay full RRP of £70 ($102) then that's a harder question. I mean, CRC are doing Shimano SLX brakes for £65 ($94) per end.....well, that's a tougher choice.

Pros:

Lever design is good.
Caliper power is good.
Good value.

Cons:

Finishing quality (Cheapy bolts, paint finish)
Longevity

Here are some comparison shots. I mean, the shimano 'mono-forged' stuff just looks nicer, imo.

I feel like these Clarks SX are like a 1st generation feel. raw, experimental and awaiting the next tweak. it certainly shows that Clarks have potential.

That last shot is a shimano M756 lever ontop of the Clarks SX. no adjustments made. The M756 version is really for 2 fingers max. Whereas the Clarks can be for 3 fingers - and it feels nicer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.