Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing the Park Tools chain cleaner...the device that looks like it locks on your chain to clean it.

Is this a good buy?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I use one

I use the Performance house brand chain cleaner that is similar to the Parks cleaner. I like it, and think it works just fine. I've tried the other recommended methods of taking the chain off the bike and putting it in a container of degreaser and shaking it, or leaving it to soak overnight. So far the best method for me has been the chain cleaner.

Bob

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I've used 5 spin doctor chain cleaners, they all worked great 2 or 3 times . then they seem to stiffen up, then break. so I guess it works great, but dont buy it. if everyone else has a different one that doesnt break and works I'll buy one. right now I'm using a bottle and brush since my 5th SPIN DOCTOR cleaner broke last night
thats SPIN DOCTOR.POS:nono: :nono: :nono:

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
I bought mine because it looked like a funky gadget so I had to give it a try. I don't recall what brand it was but it was some packaged deal at Performance Bike that came with Pedro's degreaser and lube. I used it on my roadbike because I use a petroleum based lube (I use wax on my mtb) and although it did a thorough job of scrubbing the chain, it was simply a MESS. I recommend lots of rags and a bucket to dump the degreaser into and don't forget gloves. I felt that I could have done a similar job with a toothbrush and rags.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
dan0 said:
I've used 5 spin doctor chain cleaners, they all worked great 2 or 3 times . then they seem to stiffen up, then break. so I guess it works great, but dont buy it. if everyone else has a different one that doesnt break and works I'll buy one. right now I'm using a bottle and brush since my 5th SPIN DOCTOR cleaner broke last night
thats SPIN DOCTOR.POS:nono: :nono: :nono:
I had the same problem with the 'Finish Line' model. Cumbersome to use and it was a PITA. I bought the park tools drivetrain cleaner brush and it's worked wonderfully. To think, I could have bought the brush in the first place, saved $20 and a bunch of frustration :madman:

·
( o Y o ) 's!!
261 Posts
specializer said:
in terms of a degreaser, do you have to use a special bicycle product?
can you use, say something like brakeleen?
As long as you isolate your chain from the rest of your bike and lube it immediately you should be fine. Brake cleaner is pretty harsh so keep it away from plastics, paint, and your sealed bearings.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The bike degreaser I use is ecofriendly so there are no worries about spillage. I understand lots of folks use simplegreen for the same reason. I avoid anything caustic.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yes! I use that Park Tools chain cleaner thing and I like it. However the spongy thing inside will wear out after a little while. I wish the whole device was sturdier, but it does work. You don't need the expensive cleaner. Simple Green gets my drivetrain sparkly clean!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So does the Park Tool just simply use a degreaser and the inside brushes to clean the chain...then you reapply lube to the chain?

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
specializer said:
where can you find simplegreen? do they have it at LBSs?
Any automotive, home, grocery, etc store. target, wal-mart, pep boys, safeway, etc ;). It's in the cleaners section. I also use simple green as my primary degreaser, the only thing I dislike about it is that with some of the aerosol based degreasers at the LBS, they have the ability to have a small straw (like the one you get with wd40) to better direct and isolate where you spray the cleaner and where it goes ;)

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
PanicFan77 said:
So does the Park Tool just simply use a degreaser and the inside brushes to clean the chain...then you reapply lube to the chain?
Seriously, unless you're dying to use the fancy pants chain cleaner, the brush takes about the same amount of time (actually less time for me than the fancy model) and does a more thorough job as you're able to use the brush to also clean the casette and really get the chain sparkling. You can also then use the brush on other components that the fancy chain cleaner just can't do.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Park cleaner works great. The first one I had broke everytime I latched it shut. I e-mailed Park about my problem and they sent me a new one; no questions asked. Simple Green is my degreaser of choice and it is biodegradeable. Depending on how bad my chain gets, I usually run it through one batch of Simple Green, then a batch of soapy water, then I rinse it with a hose. I blow the chain off with an air compressor and lube each link. Spin it for a few seconds and then wipe it down once.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.