Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After about 2 months of riding, I had to replace my X01 crankset after a pedal came loose from a broken boot. I was up in VT and my only option for a quick fix was a RaceFace Atlas.

A few days later, I read up on carbon cranks and it seems to be a fairly common issue. If I had the option at the time, I'd probably have shelled out another $350 for an X01, but now that I have an alloy (and much cheaper) one, I'm not so sure I'd ever get carbon cranks again.

I'm wondering if it's really that prevalent, or just seems to be since I was searching for it.
Bicycle Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel Crankset

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not worth it. Not even many carbon frames are worth it when a Ripmo AF frame is only 0.5-1.0 lbs less than other brands' carbon frames. That's roughly the weight from drinking the water in your bottle from full to 1/2 and anyone who says they can "feel" that weight is smoking crack. Carbon does provide some vibration dampening and stiffness benefits though.

·
Registered
14,587 Posts
We have 4 sets of carbon cranks in the garage. The oldest are 6 years old. So far the only issue I've had is one crank on a low BB bike that had many hits and crashes developing play at the insert. They were out of warranty, but the company hooked me up with a fresh set of arms for a small amount. I've killed a metal crank arm in the past so neither material is foolproof under all circumstances.

If I am paying full price I'd buy metal cranks they are a better value. I would buy carbon cranks on sale vs. paying full MSRP.

I'm pretty much material agnostic. I've got metal/carbon bars/rims/frames, etc... Usually metal is cheaper so if your goal is lowest cost that's your choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After about 2 months of riding, I had to replace my X01 crankset after a pedal came loose from a broken boot. I was up in VT and my only option for a quick fix was a RaceFace Atlas.

A few days later, I read up on carbon cranks and it seems to be a fairly common issue. If I had the option at the time, I'd probably have shelled out another $350 for an X01, but now that I have an alloy (and much cheaper) one, I'm not so sure I'd ever get carbon cranks again.

I'm wondering if it's really that prevalent, or just seems to be since I was searching for it.
No anything that involves Centrifugal force should be changed to carbon.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,444 Posts
If done properly, they are great. IME, Race Face carbon cranks are not done properly. Any crank can fail.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Motor vehicle

Reactions: Sidewalk

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have two pairs of sixc, no issues with either. My 104bcd set is many years old. Cinch is coming up on 3 years old. Both sets are beat up. Both have seen a few crashes. I've bent two pedal axles on the cinch set no damage to the cranks pedal insert. In the end there's little weight difference. Main reason I'm running sixc is because 165's are tough to find in anything other than heavy DH cranks.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
My Son’s Santa Cruz Nickel came with X01 carbon cranks in 2013. 8 years, 4 frames, different chainrings, and a few bottom brackets later I am still waiting for them to fail. That said, I have never purchased a pair of carbon cranks, $175 aluminum ones work well enough for me (but those 5dev cranks sure are sexy looking).

·
XC iconoclast
XC HT, AM HT
2,042 Posts
Considering that both forged steel Shimano M9000 and M9100 cranks are almost exactly 450g each without the chainring (I've weighed them, they are actually less than what's listed), MSRP is about $400-450, and you can now get pretty good $200-300 deals on them, no point in shaving a couple dozen grams for $$$ carbon, is there? Carbon frame, yes. Carbon cranks? Doesn't seem quite as practical as the frame.

Reactions: 2021Mach6
1 - 20 of 92 Posts