Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya this might be a bad place to ask a question like that but my buddy has had a hardon for cdales since he was a kid, now that he has the capitol to buy himself one i wonder if its good enough for the freeride type stuff we do now. they don't seem to have a lot of fork options, are their forks really that good?

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Hey, that's like me. A hard on for Cannondales since a child...

I remember dreaming of owning a yellow Super V with ... I forget the name of the rims, but they were Carbon (Spin or something??) Sheesh... That was like ten years ago!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
If you're doing big drops as the norm, what Wobat said. If you call it freeriding, but honestly do a few small 1 to 3 footers, land smoothly, and otherwise stand around filming each other in the woods, a Prophet will be fine. The Left is a fine, very stiff fork, but high speed very agressive DH sections seem to be problematic for those who really understand spring rate progressivity and valving. I've never felt limited by a Lefty, but I'm not as extreme as some out there :p

·
I like to ride my bike.
1,597 Posts
ar1981 said:

I remember dreaming of owning a yellow Super V with ... I forget the name of the rims, but they were Carbon (Spin or something??) Sheesh... That was like ten years ago!
Spinergy - But, I think the carbons are only for road bikes now. Company is still going strong and sponsering a local freerider.

As for the original question...I've never owned a C' dale so I can't comment.

·
Registered
879 Posts
ar1981 said:

Wow, same as me. I got my first Cdale when I was 12 and it was a '97 Super V 700 in Tangerine Gloss. Been loving them ever since. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
If you ..... do a few small 1 to 3 footers, land smoothly, and otherwise stand around filming each other in the woods, a Prophet will be fine.
So this might no be advisable on a Prophet 400? :D

http://www.bedsfattrax.org/?page_id=25 Top right clip "Ladder Drop Train"

Seriously, though, which components are not up to the job? Exclude the rider :)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
The Orange Prophet said:
So this might no be advisable on a Prophet 400? :D

http://www.bedsfattrax.org/?page_id=25 Top right clip "Ladder Drop Train"

Seriously, though, which components are not up to the job? Exclude the rider :)
Nice work! Well, a smooth transition helps for sure, as does the skill to land it nicely! As for parts not being up to task, it's a function of pocketbook. Buy as much bike as you can afford now, and replace the cheaper parts, as they break. Nice thing with Cannondales, is, it's always the same frame, gives you a great platform to build from. Cheers!

·
Registered
332 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Nice work! Well, a smooth transition helps for sure, as does the skill to land it nicely! As for parts not being up to task, it's a function of pocketbook. Buy as much bike as you can afford now, and replace the cheaper parts, as they break. Nice thing with Cannondales, is, it's always the same frame, gives you a great platform to build from. Cheers!
I must stress that I do not feature in the clip but it was taken at one of my local haunts. I reckon the drop would be about 5 - 8 feet (any less than 5 feet and you'd be going so slow that a big nosedrive would be a likely outcome, more than 8 feet would be possible but you'd need to gun it)

I reckon it's doable on my Prophet (stock '05 400 but with a short stem and new 06 Marzocchi AM SL (courtesy of Cannondale ;)), but was interested to see what other thought especially in light of your earlier comments about 1 - 3 feet being Prophet territory. Having riden the bike a few times now I's say the weak links are probably the cranks (square taper jobs) and the wheels.

As for the rider, this sort of thing used to be par for the course 20 years ago on my BMX but at 36 I look at it now and think "need more armour"!

·
Registered
332 Posts
bad ronald said:
Here is a recent ad from Cannondale featuring Chris Hatton on his Prophet MX. I'd say his bike is up for any challenge.

-R
Awesome stuff - I don't think I'll be trying anything that big and I suspect that such antics may void my warranty! I seem to remember something on this forum suggesting that the construction of the Prophet MX frame was slightly beefier than the regular frame. Obviously, the swing arm is different but, IIRC, there was mention of either burlier tubing or gusseting.

While I'm pretty confident of the ability and strength of the frame, it's the components that I worry about and was hoping to get the views of the forum members on, especially the components attatched to the budget end of the spectrum like my 400.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The Orange Prophet said:
Awesome stuff - I don't think I'll be trying anything that big and I suspect that such antics may void my warranty! I seem to remember something on this forum suggesting that the construction of the Prophet MX frame was slightly beefier than the regular frame. Obviously, the swing arm is different but, IIRC, there was mention of either burlier tubing or gusseting.

While I'm pretty confident of the ability and strength of the frame, it's the components that I worry about and was hoping to get the views of the forum members on, especially the components attatched to the budget end of the spectrum like my 400.
The MX has a gusset at the head tube and down tube junction and ISCG mounts at the BB but to my knowledge, the rest, including the tubing, is the same...

On lower end Prophets, wheels can be the first to go if you ride more toward the freeride side of things... Well, The SLR of the Prophet 4000 would probably go too if you do big drops and jumps...

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
:) Spinergy... Yes, now I remember!

They do make Mountain rims!

Talon, you're a lucky guy! I think it took me a little longer for my dream to come to fruition! ;) lol (1996 - Fell in love with Super V 2007 - Married a Prophet)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.