Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sliced a tire yesterday that was big enough that sealant couldn't fix it. I was going to bin it but a friend suggested booting the tire. Is this a reliable solution in tubeless applications or should I just get a new tire?

I threw a tube in and rode off. Overnight it looks like the sealant + dirt has solidified but without the boot won't it just split back open once it gets wet? We are heading into summer but there's still a creek crossing or two that are too big to bunnyhop over that stay wet year round. If this is sketchy at all, I'll just replace it, but I wanted the opinins of others first. Thanks.

Looks about 1cm long.

IMG_1799.JPG

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always clean out any dried sealant on the inside of the tire with brake cleaner and then patch the inside of the tire with a regular tube patch. Then I inflate the tire and super glue the outside of the tread closed. It never leaks and it works really well tubeless again. Its easy to fix punctures on the tread but sidewall cuts are a bit trickier.

Stans recommends this method as well as a few other sites.
How to Patch a Tubeless Tire

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And it's a reliable fix? I don't want to get a blowout because I was too cheap to buy a new tire. Can anyone recommend a patch kit? I have these like 1.5"x3" sticky patches from Park but I don't think they're a permanent solution... just there to keep the tube in place while you ride home.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,729 Posts
a boot is only to get you out of the woods and get home, if it can do it

boots are not expected to work further than that

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just go to O'Reilly's and pick up a tube patch kit for a few bucks. Pack comes with oval and round patches (something like THIS). Just clean the stans off real good on the inside of the tire and then put the patch on the inside. I usually clamp it and let it sit overnight, then fill it back up and enjoy. Works like a charm. Used it on a brand new tire that got a sidewall that wouldn't seal and it lasted until the tread wore out. Also had a tire with 3 of those patches in them. Like hell I am throwing out a perfectly good $60+ freaking tire. I also have a buddy who will go a step further and sew the cut.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Patch it. It will be reliable.
I've used the Hutchinson Rep'air kit with success.
second this^^^, I've repaired punctures in the tread of tubeless tires with this kit and the repairs held up for the life of the tires. as stated above, a sidewall tear will be more difficult but your cut looks like it should be fixable. worst case if the repair fails, you just throw a tube back in to get home. the Hutchinson kit claims it's made specifically for tubeless repairs (versus a regular tube patch kit) and the glue is more flexible and the patches more robust. I haven't tried anything else to compare but had good results with this one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Park tire boot is a get-you-home emergency product.

I've successfully used automotive tire patches on tubeless tires.
Automotive tire patches don't stretch like a tube patch. Careful cleaning inside of tire and application of rubber cement and they've lasted for a long time even on a sidewall.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I punctured a brand new racing ralph on its first outing and patched it with a cheap walmart Slime brand kit. It held up for 500 more miles until the tread was gone(schwalbes suck in terms of wear). I just patched a Maxxis Aspen EXC and I am fully confident the patch will outlast the tread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts