Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Bonatrager parts on trek bikes made of lower quality materials compared to other manufacturers ? Is this a myth or fact ? Does anyone know? I notice that riders get rid of Bonatrager parts as soon as they bought new bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is no Bontrager

Picard said:
Are Bonatrager parts on trek bikes made of lower quality materials compared to other manufacturers ? Is this a myth or fact ? Does anyone know? I notice that riders get rid of Bonatrager parts as soon as they bought new bike.
factory, per se. Bontrager parts are "private label" parts made by other manufacturers.

Bonty cranks are made to spec by Truvativ, handlebars & stems by Easton, etc.. then branded with Bontrager logos. The source manufacturer may change, but you are generally getting a decent part equivalent to the same manufacturer's own branded part (at the same quality level).

I don't think any bike company sets out to deliberately put crappy parts on a bike, after all, they do want you to be at least a little happy you bought their bike. They do build bikes to various price points, though, and you can expect to get what you pay for.

A Bontrager crank on a $500 Trek bike will be about as good (or bad) as the same Truvativ crank on someone else's $500 bike.

I ride mostly Trek's & Klein's and still have lots of Bonty stuff on mine, including some I put on post-purchase. My new Bontrager X-Lite OS carbon bars, Race-Lite stem and X-Lite carbon post replaced a Thomson stem and seatpost on my Palomino and they are the stuff to have. The Thomson stem & seatpost went to replace lower end Bontrager parts on my Trek HT, never to waste!

One good reason to have more than one bike are Trickle-Down Upgrades...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.