Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Salsa Vaya as my do it all/gravel grinder/monstercross bike, and I am wondering about rims. This bike uses 700c/29er wheels, and I intend to run tires in the 38-42 size range the vast majority of the time. I can see maybe putting on a 32 or 35 for a longer road event, but 95% of the time I would have 38-42 tires on it.

I really like the orange Velocity Blunt rims, which should match the color of the bike nicely. (A not-so manly concern, I know) Also, I'm large (215+ lbs) and I like the idea of a fairly stout wheel.

I have seen Sheldon Brown's chart on tire width and rim width, and it looks like I should be OK, since the Blunts ought to be about 22mm inside and the chart shows 21mm rims working with 35-50 tires and 23mm rims working with 40-50 tires. I don't know that my estimate of 22mm for inside bead width is right - I've just read that the inside measurement is usually about 6mm less than the outer, which is 28mm on the Blunt.

What I'm wondering is has anyone tried running tires this narrow on Blunt rims? This is billed as a relatively wide rim for MTB tires, but I'm looking at running pretty narrow tires by MTB standards. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I cant comment on the tire size, but I can comment on the rims. I have Blunts on my bike 26", and they have been bulletproof. They built up really nice, and have stayed true. I would definitely buy them again.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SAWS said:
I'm building up a Salsa Vaya as my do it all/gravel grinder/monstercross bike, and I am wondering about rims. This bike uses 700c/29er wheels, and I intend to run tires in the 38-42 size range the vast majority of the time. I can see maybe putting on a 32 or 35 for a longer road event, but 95% of the time I would have 38-42 tires on it.

I really like the orange Velocity Blunt rims, which should match the color of the bike nicely. (A not-so manly concern, I know) Also, I'm large (215+ lbs) and I like the idea of a fairly stout wheel.

I have seen Sheldon Brown's chart on tire width and rim width, and it looks like I should be OK, since the Blunts ought to be about 22mm inside and the chart shows 21mm rims working with 35-50 tires and 23mm rims working with 40-50 tires. I don't know that my estimate of 22mm for inside bead width is right - I've just read that the inside measurement is usually about 6mm less than the outer, which is 28mm on the Blunt.

What I'm wondering is has anyone tried running tires this narrow on Blunt rims? This is billed as a relatively wide rim for MTB tires, but I'm looking at running pretty narrow tires by MTB standards. Any insight would be appreciated.
It will work, but not ideal.
I have used 40mm tires on 28- 32mm rims. IME the narrower tires are more susceptible to pinch flats and sidewall damage than the same tire on a narrower rim. Less directional stability/tracking on gravel, too.

You should be able to get the Velocity VXC in orange. It will be plenty strong enough for a GGer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shiggy - do you have an opinion on the right rim width for the size tire I'm looking at running? It seems the 38-42 size is a little bit in between what the manufacturers are making rims for.

BTW - No orange in the VXC - I just looked over Velocity's website. The way they show the width of that rim, it is just about impossible to tell what the inner width would be - it is 24mm at its widest, but that is not at the outer edge of the rim.

I'm probably overthinking this issue, anyway. I should probably just get a set of black basic 29er rims and call it good.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
SAWS said:
Shiggy - do you have an opinion on the right rim width for the size tire I'm looking at running? It seems the 38-42 size is a little bit in between what the manufacturers are making rims for.

BTW - No orange in the VXC - I just looked over Velocity's website. The way they show the width of that rim, it is just about impossible to tell what the inner width would be - it is 24mm at its widest, but that is not at the outer edge of the rim.

I'm probably overthinking this issue, anyway. I should probably just get a set of black basic 29er rims and call it good.
Sheldon's chart is just a suggestion. Outside widths of 19-24mm (13-17mm inside) work fine for your tire range.

Velocity does colors not shown on the site.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have a similar problem. I need a new wheelset that is capable of running Ardent 2.4's and Schwalbe Marathon Cross 700x38. I would like to run the Blunts but I would rather not risk flatting my face by running the cross tires at their limits. Most of the time, the Ardent's will be installed on the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts