Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Yup. Any bike will do that if it runs into something. Duh.

The only other cause might be heavy heavy braking, but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
dennis rides Scott said:
I don't think you can say that those bikes are too light before you know the full story. You can damage any bike, like these are damaged.
Agree 100%, always 2 sides to a story, as they say and they talk alot..............I love it how when a frame gets mangled, the way in which it got mangled gets very scewed, BS comes into play..................

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
agree

Had an old Trek 930 steel bike years ago, brother was riding thru a stream and hit a rock, bent the frame in the same way, fork and wheel were fine. From the pictures of these bikes, I would say they hit something.

KMan

dennis rides Scott said:
I don't think you can say that those bikes are too light before you know the full story. You can damage any bike, like these are damaged.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Are riders getting too fat? :eek:

I don't think it's an issue of being too light. Probably more of an issue of riding a light bike on terrain which is too rough.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In both photos, the bikes have the front axle closer to the rear axle. This is caused by something pushing the front axle toward the rear axle. Bottom of a ditch, tree, large rock. You would have to hit a fairly burly rock to have it crush vs. the rider being pitched and the bike surviving. In any case, it is likely that it was not something someone could expect to ride over on a cross country race machine. IF this were the situation where the front axle was stretched away from the rear, such as a landing or g-out type situation, I would be somewhat more likely to think that it could have happened in the course of normal riding. I would like to hear the story behind this one, or should I say these two. If nothing else, just for the curiousity factor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure about the Scott, but I remember reading about the Orbea. It went something like the guy was riding it into a ditch and the front wheel clipped the edge of the ditch. The guy said that it didn't feel like a very hard hit and the nothing else was damaged...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Both bikes were simply subjected to a force load in a direction they were not designed to handle. We don't complain when our cars get bent from hitting something, our bikes are no different.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a steel Diamond Back do the same thing about 12 years ago.

i was in a small revene and was not able to make a turn fast enough.so instead of heading over thr bars into the wall myself i leaned back behind the seat and let the bike take the force.

·
We're going down WHAT??
319 Posts
Are bikes too Light????? (You're kidding right?)

That is like asking me if I have too much money or if my girlfriend is too pretty.....! I'd ride a bike that weighed the same as a cotton-ball if it could stand up to the daily riding of a 180lb rider... In the cases here, I am going to have to agree with you all. It looks as if they ran into something or maybe they had it on their car rack and maybe backed into their carport/garage. Either way, I have seen much sturdier bikes with similar damage. I woule like to see if there is a "J.R.A." story behind these pictures though.... That would be interesting, but back to the question of if bikes are getting too light. In my mind, no. If you feel as though your bike is too light, please PM me and I will gladly trade you my "lightly used" not-so-light parts for your feather light parts. (Sounds like a win/win to me!) :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.