Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about differences in brake pad brands. I see there are several brands other than avid that make pads that will work with my brakes, the avid juicy 5's.

It's just my front that really need replacing sooner than later. What say yee, tech-savvy all mountain gnarlers?

Or do I just throw in whatever the lbs has in stock?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Brake pads are not (supposedly) created equal. I cant tell much difference between different brands however. I have different brakes than you though. I would just go with whatever the LBS has
just my two cents

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
If you have a good shop that really knows the best choices for pad material for the given area you ride, then go with what they recommend. Unfortunately many shops just go with what they can get the best profit margin for. Maybe your best bet is to talk to riding buddies who have bikes similar to yours and ride terrain like yours and you know have some knowledge about the mechanicals of their bikes.

For example, in my area and for my 35 pound Nomad for aggressive riding, I like sintered metallic pads for my Juicy's and Elixirs...and in the past, for my Hayes Mags. Some others might like organic pads. How much mud and moisture you'll ride in can also have an impact on the best pad for you. Some of the best pads I've ever run are the EBC red pads for my Hayes Mags, but they wore very quickly. I tried a set of less expensive Jagwire sintered metallic pads for my Juicy's and found them to be quite good. I even like them over Avid's SM pads and now run them in all my brakes.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Sinterd semi-metallic are more powerful type of any brand. But the softer "organic" pads are normally quieter if your rotors squeal.

I've found the lower cost Kool-stop brand sintered pads to fit and work as well as my caliper's brand sintered at almost half the retail price of brand pads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts