Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I am looking for a new bike on behalf of my wife. She has been riding a small Santa Cruz Blur for 4-5 years and absolutely loves it. She is, however, due for a new bike and is thinking 27.5" would be new, fun, different etc. She is not very hard on bikes and really is more of an XC rider than anything. She will do one, if not two, 50 mile races this summer.

A lightweight bike is really important to her and it seems in looking around that most of the 27.5 ers out now (more coming everyday though) are heavier (28+ lbs) endure type rigs.

Aside from an 8k Anthem, which carbon full suspension 27.5 inch bikes could weigh in around 25 lbs while still staying in the 5k price range?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,894 Posts
There are a lot of options out there. The primary reason you're seeing "bigger" bikes in the 27.5 wheel size is because for XC/TR (trail) bikes, 29" wheels are still very popular. The longer travel bikes are where we're seeing the big push towards 27.5" wheels.

I'd check out a bikes like the Scott Scale or Carbon Chinese 27.5 from 2013 newest swappable 135&142 dropouts IP-156 full suspension 27.5er MTB frame,full carbon 27.5er frame-Xiamen Iplay Sporting Goods Co.,Ltd.. Santa Cruz Solo or Norco Sight Carbon for something a little bigger. Switchback bikes will have a budget priced carbon frame coming out this summer as well. Kona will probably have the Process 134 carbon. Devinci Troy is another good option for $3500.

The Salsa Spearfish is 26lbs out of the box, but only 29" wheels currently. It's certainly a very lightweight XC whippet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd look really close at a Santa Cruz 5010, with a wheel upgrade. Don't skimp on the wheels, it pays off.
Good advice, I will see what one can be built out to with a lighter wheel set. In the end I care more about the right bike than the price tag"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, if I could get her onto the Furtado, or some similar 29er, that would probably make her pretty happy as that is just over 25 lbs and 5k. She is hesitant about being on a 29er at 5' 4". I know she would not be the only one but has kinda locked into the 27.5. It may well just be a matter of stretching the budget to get a 27.5 light enough.

I will look at the Scott bikes though, I had forgotten about them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am in the midst of a Bronson build up now, and was shocked at how much weight I could shave with careful parts selection. 50g here, 100g there, and you are talking POUNDS. In many cases it's not even more expensive, it's just "this instead of that". I'm building a super light Bronson (as light as you can get one, within reason). I'm still 40lbs overweight, so I didn't want to risk a lighter duty frame with less travel until I get in shape. I think 27.5 is a good size for a small rider, giving a 29er-ish effect without driving like a School Bus (and without the weight).

There is a HUGE difference in tires, you can easily save a pound just being careful on the rubber.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Maybe look at the Turner Flux as well. Slightly heavier but not a pig. 5.75 lb frame weight for a medium. Looks like the Santa Cruz comes in at 5.06.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I saved almost 1/2lb just on the saddle! It's crazy when you start looking into it. Remember, most bikes use "assembly line" stuff that most don't care about (saddle, bars/stem, seat post, etc). You can trim a LOT if you are careful about what you use.

Single ring front shaves a lot of fat. etc etc

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I started out with a '14 Anthem 27.5 3 weighing about 30# and mine is 23.4# right now running a 1x10 drivetrain and still using the factory Recon Gold, a pretty good fork.
When I upgrade to a 120mm Reba or SID up front it'll be potentially under 23#.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts