Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Klonk explained

The klonk comes from play in the bearings. To get rid of the klonk disassemble the freewheel by removing the cap (two small holes - you can make a tool with a piece of steel and two small bolts). There should be one or more washers that adjust the bearing. If you don't have acces to washers you can cut some out of paper - it is quite stable. Find the right amount of washers and put the top cap back on.

It worked for me.

Disassembly is by far the best way to clean the freewheel by the way. And it is quite simple once you have a tool for two small holes in the top cap.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
mordecai said:
My vote is on ACS as well. I've ridden them since I was a wee squirt. Never had a lemon. Just follow everybody advice on lube maintinence and you should be pleased. While your at it, try to treat yourself to one of these. The spanner allows you to thread the axle nut on after you set the teeth so that the tooling doesnt slip.
Does anyone know the brand name of this tool? Thanks!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.