Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Still using dork disk.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

So, I need to spend money like I need a hole in the head, but new shoes will be on my "to buy" list soon. Are the soles going to wear like this?:

These are very cheap skate shoes from Payless. I have gotten almost a year of 2-3 times/week usage out of them and they look like this.

For $100, I am expecting 5.10 soles to last forever (almost). Should I lower my expectations?

Ryan

·
Newt Guy
833 Posts
If I get a year out of any pair of shoes I am happy. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Still using dork disk.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FrostyStruthers said:
If I get a year out of any pair of shoes I am happy. I wouldn't worry about it.
Hmmmm....I was hoping to hear something different. $80 more is a lot to pay for extra grip when I am going to wear through the shoes just as fast. Guess the grip is second to none.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
mine are thinner but no gouges or cuts like that(2+yrs). I do have a pair of Vans that I use when i forget to bring my impacts. there is no guessing on the grip. you will love the performance IF you like the fit.

·
Still using dork disk.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
53119 said:
mine are thinner but no gouges or cuts like that(2+yrs). I do have a pair of Vans that I use when i forget to bring my impacts. there is no guessing on the grip. you will love the performance IF you like the fit.
Cool. What's up with the fit? Run small or something?

I am looking at both the Freerider and Impact.

Ryan

·
Registered
69 Posts
No, they won't become worn like in the picture. I find the Freeriders more comfortable and lighter than the Impact lows but the Impacts seem to be sturdier.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you're worried about wear, get the Impacts. They will hold up better than any other 5.10. They're a bit bulky and heavier than the freeriders/basics though. The upside to that bulk is the added foot protection. I have a set of impacts for rocky, technical trails, and a set of basics for mellow trails and commuting. 2 seasons on my Impacts (Sam Hill version) and not much visible wear at all yet. 5.10 grip is awesome though. Once you have a pair you'll never go back to skate shoes. :)

·
Newt Guy
833 Posts
rmi said:
Hmmmm....I was hoping to hear something different. $80 more is a lot to pay for extra grip when I am going to wear through the shoes just as fast. Guess the grip is second to none.

Ryan
I think they are worth it all day. You will do alright with them. They don't really get chewy like your pic.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rmi said:
Hey all:

So, I need to spend money like I need a hole in the head, but new shoes will be on my "to buy" list soon. Are the soles going to wear like this?:

These are very cheap skate shoes from Payless. I have gotten almost a year of 2-3 times/week usage out of them and they look like this.

For $100, I am expecting 5.10 soles to last forever (almost). Should I lower my expectations?

Ryan
And do you expect those expensive soft compound tires to last longer than the $30 hard runner tires?

High performance has a price.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Get the impacts...my freeriders fell apart like a chinese motorcycle way before the soles even wore down enough
Soles = durable, construction = weak

·
Registered
208 Posts
My Impacts are 3.5 years old. They don't exhibit any noticeable wear like in your picture (or any other problems), and they still function great. Most durable shoes I've ever bought.

·
Still using dork disk.
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Probably going to get Impacts soon.

Ryan

·
Registered
875 Posts
mrniceguy42 said:
Get the impacts...my freeriders fell apart like a chinese motorcycle way before the soles even wore down enough
Soles = durable, construction = weak
My old freeriders came apart fairly easy but the newer replacement pair they sent me has been rock solid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts