Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ardent 2.25 vs Ardent Race 2.2 for hardpack to loose conditions.

• Ardent 2.25

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new guy here. Just wanted to ask which of the two would be better at hardpack to loose conditions, and which is also better for grip. Not really a fan on speedy tires, I'm more on grip due to the rainy season now in my country. And yeah even when it rains I still send it on my xc bike. I just bought an Ikon 2.2 for my rear and I'm still tryna find a great, grippy tire on the front. Tried some Ardent 2.25's a couple of months ago when I borrowed it from a friend cause my bike was broken after a crash. Rode it on dry conditions, pretty nice and fast. Very grippy but I wonder how they would do in loose conditions. Or maybe AR's cause some riders say their also reallg grippy and somewhat just a little slower than Ikons. Any suggestions? Newbie here.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The 2.2 Ardent Race is better all around when compared to the straight Ardent..

Only area where they may be close is rolling resistance.

The Race is better under braking and has better grip when leant over.

Use to run 2.35 and 2.2 AR's on my ole Transition Bandit 29.

Killer combo for that bike.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep things get pretty slick here in the wet season. I've been happy with an Ardent Race max spd 3C EXO TR 2.35 out front for the past couple seasons riding XC/trail. Nice balance of speed volume and grip in all conditions, running at 18-20 psi on a 24 mm rim. Could use something grippier at times but like the versatility and they are holding up very well so far.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Ardent Race is better than the regular Ardent. I had the 2.35 version. I put a hole in the sidewall and the tread on my first ride on it, rendering it tube-only. I finally threw it away after the second pinch flat. It is an XC race tire, and a good one, but ultimately it just wouldn’t hold up to my riding.

I would look at the Rekon, as I feel it is much grippier than the AR, and probably a little more robust.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Others will likely disagree, but I think the venerable Ardent is probably the worst XC/light trail tyre Maxxis makes. It’s doesn’t roll very well and the knobs are weak and easy to bend, eapecially on hardpack making the tyre a bit unpredictable.

The Ardent Race on the other hand is excellent, probably the best XC/ligh trail from Maxxis along with the Ikon.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
Others will likely disagree, but I think the venerable Ardent is probably the worst XC/light trail tyre Maxxis makes. It's doesn't roll very well and the knobs are weak and easy to bend, eapecially on hardpack making the tyre a bit unpredictable.

The Ardent Race on the other hand is excellent, probably the best XC/ligh trail from Maxxis along with the Ikon.
I never understood the love for it. I tried it back in the day and found it pretty horrible, hard, with little traction at the limits.

Reactions: MTB Engineer

·
Registered
986 Posts
Others will likely disagree, but I think the venerable Ardent is probably the worst XC/light trail tyre Maxxis makes. It's doesn't roll very well and the knobs are weak and easy to bend, eapecially on hardpack making the tyre a bit unpredictable.

I think the ardent is one of the worst tires I have ever ridden. Idk what conditions it is good in, but I have never found them. The rekon is so much better imo. If you want a fast and light, yet decent grip, I think a rekon/ikon combo would be a good start. If you need even more grip put a dissector up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The 2.2 Ardent Race is better all around when compared to the straight Ardent..

Only area where they may be close is rolling resistance.

The Race is better under braking and has better grip when leant over.

Use to run 2.35 and 2.2 AR's on my ole Transition Bandit 29.

Killer combo for that bike.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3
Thanks for the suggestion my friend, well now I'm kinda happy on buying the EXO/TR version of the AR 2.2, my bike doesn't really have enough clearance for a 2.35 version or I just gotta stick with the 2.2, but doesn't really matter. As long as it shreds and sticks like velcro on the moist dirt on the trails, I'm happy. Thanks again for the suggestion bro, cheers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Ardent Race is better than the regular Ardent. I had the 2.35 version. I put a hole in the sidewall and the tread on my first ride on it, rendering it tube-only. I finally threw it away after the second pinch flat. It is an XC race tire, and a good one, but ultimately it just wouldn't hold up to my riding.

I would look at the Rekon, as I feel it is much grippier than the AR, and probably a little more robust.
I've never seen anyone sell Rekons here in the Philippines, I don't really know why but there are Rekon Races. Never ridden them either btw. I've only ridden Ikon's, Ardent's and some DHR II's from my friends XC bike. I am kinda curious with the Rekons. Nice thread but I wonder what conditions they're great in. Also looking agressive on the trails. Cheers bro, ride safe!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep things get pretty slick here in the wet season. I've been happy with an Ardent Race max spd 3C EXO TR 2.35 out front for the past couple seasons riding XC/trail. Nice balance of speed volume and grip in all conditions, running at 18-20 psi on a 24 mm rim. Could use something grippier at times but like the versatility and they are holding up very well so far.
Where do you usual ride on the Trails? I ride at Filinvest btw. I guess when it hits around 4PM the dirt starts to get somewhat moist there. So sometimes my stock tires don't really bite into the dirt. But it's a very fun trail park and is also beginner friendly. Thanks for the suggestion too! Cheers bro!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I never understood the love for it. I tried it back in the day and found it pretty horrible, hard, with little traction at the limits.
Well they do look somewhat agressive, well for me they're pretty good at dry conditions. It's speed is like for just some regular stock tires you get from cheap bikes. I also noticed they are relatively small for a 2.25 size. Kinda wierd for me tbh. My friend has some CST Skinwalls that are also 2.25 but they are kinda bigger than the Ardent 2.25. I don't really know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only thing the Ardent does well is let go in corners when you're not expecting it to do so.
That was my experience. Feels fast and grippy through a turn, then instantly drops me in the next with no warning slide at all.

I'm running F: Rekon 2.4, R: Rekon Race 2.35 this year and the predictability of slides is confidence inspiring as the bike lets me know the traction limit instead of just dumping me off the bike like the Ardents did.

The Rekon Race as a rear tire rolls and climbs fast, but I have to be really smooth with my rear brake now, as it locks up easier than any rear I have used in the past. I wouldn't use it as a front tire.

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,782 Posts
A tire is that definitely faster rolling than the Ardent and is surprisingly good in loose conditions is the Schwalbe Rocket Ron. I tested these in a year when we were getting moondust on the trails really early in the summer. The Rocket Ron is probably better in loose conditions than hard baked hardpack clay due to it's small knobs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where do you usual ride on the Trails? I ride at Filinvest btw. I guess when it hits around 4PM the dirt starts to get somewhat moist there. So sometimes my stock tires don't really bite into the dirt. But it's a very fun trail park and is also beginner friendly. Thanks for the suggestion too! Cheers bro!
Cool, I'm in Los Banos - trails in and around UPLB farmlands and adjacent mountains. Stuff I put together over the years exploring, using satellite imagery and talking to locals harvesting fruits. Very beautiful and wild, hardly anyone else riding out here except me! Prepandemic I road a bit in Nuvali/Sta Rosa/Tagaytay/West Silang lots of well developed trails there but I prefer to ride from home these days. Msg me if you ever get down this way for a ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.