Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ardent 2.4 or Rampage for the front of my Monocog Flight( with WB Magic110 fork)? I'll be riding mostly midwest singletrack with a few trips to rocky stuff(PA, NC, WV etc..). The Ardent looks a bit like the Hutchison Barracuda tread which I didn't really like as a front tire on my Heckler.

Thanks for any input
T

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I HATE the Rampage for starters, crap grips, drags like a biach and rotates on my rim ( common Panaracer fault ) and shreds valves while braking.

WTB Stout is much better than the Rampage.

Bonty FR3 2.35 is around, been on order for 3weeks here so maybe not :(

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
On the other hand, the Rampage has been my favorite front tire for two years. I've tried others, although I haven't tried my Stout yet, and none handled the chunk the way the Rampage could. The Ardent 2.25 was ok, but I can definitely see how a bigger version with bigger knobs would be a strong contender to replace the Rampage as #1 in my books.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I also did not like the Rampage at all, although I did not experience it rotating on my rim.

I am a big fan of the Geax Saguaro 2.2, both front and rear. But it sounds like you want a bigger tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Rampages front and rear for the last year, riding in the Northeast. I haven't had any trouble with it slipping (WTB Dual Duty rims) and I find it's braking is excellent up front, when reversed for the rear, the ramps make it much more prone to lockup and skid. I have had it wash out to the side a few times on me which is not something I really like in a front tire. If in an off camber situation that is at all moist, it's fairly prone to occur. Several of the times it's happened I have really been pushing it, but nevertheless, it's something I notice. I love it out back though, where the lateral traction isn't quite as critical.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Turveyd said:
I HATE the Rampage for starters, crap grips, drags like a biach and rotates on my rim ( common Panaracer fault ) and shreds valves while braking.

WTB Stout is much better than the Rampage.

Bonty FR3 2.35 is around, been on order for 3weeks here so maybe not :(
Wow, I'd hate to hear what you think of some of the racing tires that have lower tread. I've run a combo with rampage front and rampage front/rear and can say it was one of the better tires I've ridden in terms of grip. It also seemed very durable, had a nice amount of volume, and was easy to setup tubeless. I hardly ever had any problems with the tire washing out, but if it did I guarantee it was my fault since its a very knobby tire. Since I've been racing I've moved to something far less knobby and have noticed an increase in speed.. but that should be expected when going from a knobby tire to something more race oriented.

To the OP, I think it's a toss up between the rampage and ardent 2.4. Both have large knobs and are high volume. The ardent is probably slighty higher volume than the rampage. The rampages are probably cheaper right now since the ardent 2.4 just became available.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Where do I get that Spesh tyre ??

I like Spesh Tyres the Enduro 2.3 Pro and the faster rolling 1 I can't think of the name for rear was my 26er choice, looks like a good volume all rounder to me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Rampage is pretty much a nevegal with a bit harder rubber. The nevegal is regarded as one of the best tires ever.

I love the rampage, albeit they are slow they are a great do it all tire. Stout is a nice looking tire, doesn't look like it would roll any faster though. My one solid complaint is that the tire seems a bit thin. I haven't cut or torn mine yet but I do see some sealant sidewalk seeping. Good front tire, I would think twice if you're putting it on the rear.

Spesh tires rock. The new round of tires including 2.4 purg should be hitting shelves soon. I would roll any spesh tire and the purg 2.4 looks awesome and it's going to be huge!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
rough maths based on that site is @12% more volume for the Ardent or was that more than the stout ?? Stout slightly bigger than a Rampage.

Stout roles faster than the Rampage, don't know how but it roles fine on the front, Rampage on the front dragged so on the rear it would be a real energy waster.

Ardent looks faster than the Stout and better on rocky terrain but worse in muddy terrain.

Hope my Bonty FR3 arrives this year, interesting tread pattern should be a real rock muncher!!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
To clarify on tire volumes, I listed some of the tires mentioned so far based on Shiggy's volume index calculation (not tread size). In order from largest to smallest:
Ardent 2.4 = 32.3
Rampage = 28.6
Ardent 2.25 = 28.1
WTB Stout = 27.7
Nevegal = 27.1

Shiggy doesn't have anything on the Bonty FR-3 yet and I haven't seen anyone with the Spec Purgatory yet. I'm very curious to see real numbers for both of those

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Stouts below a Rampage, not surprised but MUCH better all round tyre!!

32.3's similar to a WW LT 2.55 the volume on that feels lovely but sidewalls are too weak and no grip at all LOL

Hoping for a 34 area on the FR3 just save it for trail centres and peak rock mashing.

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna try a Rampage front/Ardent 2.25 rear combo and see what i think of it. Nice thing about working part-time at my lbs is that if I dont like it, I'm not out full retail:D

T

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I love the Rampage up front, zero issues, Flow rims, run tubeless
works great in our rocky terrain, we actually have a good mixture of hardpack, loose dirt, loose rock over hardpack, roots and chunky rock.. lots of off camber stuff

run it with an ignitor rear

wasn't too impressed with the ardents

I REALLY wish Kenda would make a full stick E compound tire

·
When in doubt- turn left
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Charles!! Dude, good to see you're still around. Every now and then a random thought from my trip down to pick up my HH100x will pop up in my head, always makes me smile:thumbsup:. I need to get back down there.

Todd

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
For rocky, rooty (and leaf covered of late) riding in the Northeast I couldn't stand the Rampage regardless of pressure. The 2.4 Ardent has been an absolute pleasure on the same terrain.

Both have been run tubeless on Flows for all types of riding on a WFO. Currently like 18 psi in the Ardent and I'm about 185 lbs ready to ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.