Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been running an ardent 2.4 on p35 up front on my jones for a year. 'bout time to replace it. wondering what else is out there in a similar class, maybe a little bigger...?

suggestions?
experiences?

·
@2whlfun
542 Posts
Liked a Purgatory for a while. Now love the Butcher, it's grippy! There is a gap between knobs however that exposes the rim to strikes if you get nutty with running low pressure. Just like the model it copies. Can't remember what it's called. Minion?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bigger would be hans dampf. Similar weight, rolls ok in front. Corners well like the ardent but with more predictability. I had a soft compound one and it wore fast and folded knobs on hardpack so I would recommend the pacestar.

·
WTF is downcountry?
679 Posts
The Bontrager 29-4, better traction in loose cond's, little lighter and a little less volume at 2.35

·
SS Pusher Man
7,599 Posts
Continental Trail King 2.4

Beast of a tire.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
There is also the new GEAX Goma that is about the same weight as the Purgatory. Meant to be more of a All-Mountain/Enduro/Downhill tire but with the weight savings of a XC tire. Thinking of getting one once my Gato finally gives up the ghost, going on almost 2yrs now and still has great tread.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The 2.5 DHF is in another class than the Ardent, I would say. It weighs much more.

The 2.3DHF would be my actual recommendation over an ardent 2.4, but you say you want bigger, so I went with hans dampf.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
On One chunky monkey. Maxxis makes them. Same casing as the ardent 2.4 but the tread is way beefier and better in my opinion. A great meaty front tire if you are looking for grip, traction and stability look no further.

The Conto Trail Kings black chills are good too. I just wish the 29er flavor were as volumous as the 26.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Experience suggests the Ardent may deserve another round.

I've run a conti MK 2.4 and some other pretty useless crap on the front of my FS bike. The Conti wasn't horrible, but it can't hold a candle to the Ardent. Weight wise, everything meatier than the Ardent (I run the EXO version) seems to get heavy pretty fast. I haven't found a situation yet where the Ardent isn't "good enough" for me.

For the record, I'm running a 2.3 Exiwolf on the front of my single speed. But since it isn't made anymore, there's a good chance that'll end up being an Ardent too before it's all said and done.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The Bontrager 29-4, better traction in loose cond's, little lighter and a little less volume at 2.35

I happen to like this tire as well.

Sometimes called the XR4. The tread pattern is as such....

btr_xr4_12_z.jpg

I posted the tread pattern, as the old XR4 is a different pattern.
Look for a 29-4, SE4, or XR4. The SE4 has better sidewall protection.

The 26" is a 2.35, the 29" is a 2.3.

Here's the best part - you CANNOT LOSE with that tire. Bontrager offers an unconditional satisfaction guarantee. If you do not like the tire, you have 30 days to return it and get a credit towards something else.
From Bontrager's website -
Ride it and love it. If not, we’ll take it back.
It’s that simple.

If for any reason you’re not satisfied with your Bontrager products, return the item - along with the original sales receipt - to the place of purchase within 30 days of purchase date for exchange or store credit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As luck would have it, a dude around the corner from me had a Hans Dampf with about zero miles on sitting in his basement so I mounted it up tubeless and went for a ride. With the H.Dampf up front and an Ardent in the back both at the same psi (+/- a couple of psi) my calipers show the H.Dampf to be slightly larger in both width and height. On the road to the trails the H.Dampf felt noticeably slower vs the Ardent it replaced but I'm sure I was also paying more attention to that than i normally would. If nothing else, the squared off knobs of the Dampf make more noise on the pavement than the ramped knobs of the Ardent. On the trail, i felt pretty good with the Dampf. It was a short ride in wet conditions and I was nervous to push it since it was dark and i was alone. I think i may need to lower the pressure just a bit too. Way too early to give a serious head to head comparison but I'll get there over the coming weeks as i zero in on the best psi and start to push the Dampf to it's limits.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I swear by the Hans Dampf on the front of my Jones. I think the Ardent 2.4 is great for that bike too. I think those are the two best tire options for that bike, because you want something that has a nice large,supple casing, but is not too much of a pig. I would give the edge to the Hans, unless I were logging lots of smooth miles.
The new Purgatory with the Grid casing is also nice, but I have only run that on the back of the Enduro29er, so no experience as a front tire.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I run my tires around 20psi (I weigh 175). I had an ardent as a stock tire, it was bad upfront on our chunky rock. I switched to a hans dampf and it was rock solid, but I wanted something lighter. Im running a nobby nic which doesnt have as much grip as the hans dampf, but it is good enough and faster.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,422 Posts
Experience suggests the Ardent may deserve another round.

I've run a conti MK 2.4 and some other pretty useless crap on the front of my FS bike. The Conti wasn't horrible, but it can't hold a candle to the Ardent. Weight wise, everything meatier than the Ardent (I run the EXO version) seems to get heavy pretty fast. I haven't found a situation yet where the Ardent isn't "good enough" for me.

For the record, I'm running a 2.3 Exiwolf on the front of my single speed. But since it isn't made anymore, there's a good chance that'll end up being an Ardent too before it's all said and done.
Funny how specific a tire can be for someone. I hated the Ardent 2.4 up front - found it to be terribly unpredictable and sketchy, while the Conti MKII has been an outstanding tire for me, front and rear, on a 26 and 29.

Directly from the Ardent 2.4 up front, I switched to a High Roller II 2.3 and 'am digging it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts