Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread for the build for my fatbike/packrafting expedition to the Arctic Ocean.

I'll update as the build progresses. A few key bits:
  • 9:ZERO:7 135mm offset
  • Rohloff
  • Schmidt SON28
  • Large Marge XC

Frame choice in a nutshell: Rohloff and dynohub are required to accomplish the goals of the expedition. The Rohloff Speedhubs are only available in 135mm and the Schmidt hubs are only available in 100mm. I prefer the offset build to the various 170mm rear end options requiring adapters/spacers. I also love the standover height of the 9:ZERO:7 aluminum frames.

Oh, and... after living on a sailboat with a bike for about 3 years, I've experienced the accelerated rates of steel oxidization in marine environments firsthand. I'm disqualifying the Pugs and other steel frames for that reason.

Just snatched Step 1 off the truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm really stoked to see how this progresses. The electrogenerator front hub, non offset, Rohloff rear end.. this oughta be super cool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interesting trip. if no liquid or gas fuel for cooking your fuel plan for heating water/ food? I can't imagine the trip w/o hot beverages and only raw foods

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While these questions may all be interesting, I'll primarily be discussing the build in the context of mtbr sub-forum fat bikes.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
No hot drinks or cooked meals in between villages shouldn't be that much of a problem. I always had foods I didn't need to cook and water with or without drink mixes on my tours.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Just curious what your timeline is for this trip, ie. when you are planning on being where, that sort of thing.
From the website:

In the last week of March 2012, I'm heading north to the Arctic Ocean on foot, fatbike, and packraft. The estimated duration of the expedition is 6-8 months, but may vary significantly due to ice, ocean, and ground conditions throughout.

Fatbikerafting the Arctic by Andrew Badenoch — Kickstarter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just trying to envision the trip a bit better that's all.
I'm with ya... was mainly dodging the food questions. As far as the bike use (very oversimplified), Spring will be road, gravel, ice/snow trails, and maybe frozen rivers/lakes (route has alternate options based on breakup). Summer will be tundra. Fall will be bushwacking in the southern half of Alaska and the Lost Coast.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh you sound like the whole way is like the yakutat dump, I think the most we saw was like 10 one evening east of the Malaspinia :)
Those dump bears are like our menacing pets. Something about those bears on the other side of the bay, they have a grumpiness about them.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts