Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sweet. So I'll be the TA for the grad-level GIS intro course in the fall.

It's been known for awhile that our GIS lab will be migrating to ArcGIS 10.0 this summer. The prof for the course just handed me a copy of ArcGIS 10.0 with a 1yr ArcInfo license to install onto my home PC so I can start playing with it and learning the software.

I just got it running, and my first task is to get the plat for my house scanned and georeferenced for landscaping projects. Which includes a small trail through the woods in the backyard.

·
Killer of Chains
1,800 Posts
Apparently editing is much improved and streamlined.

I'd like to see more connectivity between consumer GPS units and the ArcMap suite.

Plus the game gets changed with all the 3D stuff you can do now.

I need to get me a free copy to fiddle with for a few months so I don't get left behind.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was fiddling with it, and yes...editing features is much streamlined.

IMO, it's a bigger deal that ArcCatalog and ArcToolbox are no longer standalone programs. They run as panes in the main program. Toolbox had a pane already, but the standalone program is entirely gone now. Catalog being a pane now, also, means I don't have to open a separate program to create a new file. It seems Arc is moving a bit farther away from shapefiles, too. Default in many cases now is to save to the Default.gdb geodatabase.

It was easier for me to add a WMS server in 10, and I also find it interesting that there are "basemap" options from ArcGIS Online.

So far, it looks pretty good. The interfaces all look very different, which means I'm gonna have my work cut out for me over the summer updating the GIS intro course notes and handouts. Thankfully, though, it's not quite as radical of a change as ERDAS 2011 was from the 9.whatever version we were running at the school. And in fact, ERDAS 2011 had so many problems, they've halted the upgrade process and downgraded from 2011 to 2010 on the machines that got 2011 installed. I did have Arc freeze on me a couple times...we'll see how that pans out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still running 9.3 in our shop (client driven requirement but maybe later this year we'll go to 10). I'm not sure how I feel about having Catalog and Toolbox in the same frame as ArcMap. I'm running two screens and always like to have one dedicated to Catalog and the other to Map. Oh well, ESRI forcing me to learn another style.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
D-Town said:
Still running 9.3 in our shop (client driven requirement but maybe later this year we'll go to 10). I'm not sure how I feel about having Catalog and Toolbox in the same frame as ArcMap. I'm running two screens and always like to have one dedicated to Catalog and the other to Map. Oh well, ESRI forcing me to learn another style.
Not sure how to put it, but they can be minimized to an area on the right side of the main program window with a few other things and quickly be recalled when needed.

On my home pc with a single large widescreen monitor, it works well. At school where most machines have dual 19" regular monitors, not so much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.