Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a road trip to the Northern CA coast next week and am in need of some ride suggestions. I will be staying in Arcata Wednesday and Thursday and will head back to the bay area Friday through Redding.

I was thinking of riding in Arcata Community Forest and Weaverville Basin or Whiskeytown, but I know next to nothing about riding in these areas. I will be on a 29er singlespeed with a 5” fork and a dropper post.

The type of ride I most enjoy could be described as “free-ride lite”: flowy to technical, but without the big drops. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would suggest Whiskeytown in Redding. It's steep, but you SS guys love to do that sort of thing so you can tell everyone about it:)

I'm thinking Chimney/Papoose Pass or Kanaka Peak/ Mt Shasta Mine loop. Depending on how you feel these can be put together or done separately.

I have an injured knee or I'd offer to show you around. I'll see if I can dig up some GPS links for you.

Here is The Chimney (Rich Gulch Trail on the Map) Bike Ride Profile | 9 miles near Whiskeytown | Times and Records | Strava

Kanaka Peak: Bike Ride Profile | 15 miles near Redding | Times and Records | Strava

Mt. Shasta Mine/Buck Hollow/Salt Creek/Predator/Clear Creek Canal: Bike Ride Profile | 13 miles near Redding | Times and Records | Strava

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and the links! Sorry about your knee.

Yeah, I guess i have known some of us SSers to climb steep stuff just to brag about later (not me, of course ;))

All three rides look interesting.
Which ride...
1. has the most singletrack?
2. has the most shade?
3. is the easiest to follow? (I will be on my own and I don't have a GPS unit at this time)

·
Registered
645 Posts
1. Kanaka Peak is about 95% singletrack. It is a little hard to navigate.

2. All of Whiskeytown is shady for the most part. Mt. Shasta Mine loop has the least shade of all but its still shady. Chimney the most shady, similar to the Dark Day camp ground at Bullard's Bar. No lack of shade in Whiskeytown is my point. I wouldn't let this factor into any ride there.

3. Chimney to Papoose Pass is easy to follow. The climb is road unless you're an animal then you can climb Brandy Creek Trail (Ice Box)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am taking a road trip to the Northern CA coast next week and am in need of some ride suggestions. I will be staying in Arcata Wednesday and Thursday and will head back to the bay area Friday through Redding.

I was thinking of riding in Arcata Community Forest and Weaverville Basin or Whiskeytown, but I know next to nothing about riding in these areas. I will be on a 29er singlespeed with a 5" fork and a dropper post.

The type of ride I most enjoy could be described as "free-ride lite": flowy to technical, but without the big drops. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Arcata - do Community forest, maybe play on the little flow trail in Sunnybrae. Freeride lite pretty much perfectly describes Jacoby creek, or the labyrinth in Mckinleyville, but you need a guide. Stop by bike shops. Talk to people, they will help you out. Revolution is a great shop, likely your best bet. Some good riding here, but much like Santa Cruz, it takes awhile to find it. Weaverville is wicked fun, as is Whiskeytown.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Weaverville is fantastic. If you look for a the la grange classic course you should be able to find a map online, thats a pretty good route, but I'm not sure how well you would be able to find the trails without a guide. If you want to ride in Redding/Whiskeytown I should be able to show you around.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
1. Kanaka Peak is about 95% singletrack. It is a little hard to navigate.

2. All of Whiskeytown is shady for the most part. Mt. Shasta Mine loop has the least shade of all but its still shady. Chimney the most shady, similar to the Dark Day camp ground at Bullard's Bar. No lack of shade in Whiskeytown is my point. I wouldn't let this factor into any ride there.

3. Chimney to Papoose Pass is easy to follow. The climb is road unless you're an animal then you can climb Brandy Creek Trail (Ice Box)
Prospect has almost no shade. Satan's crack isn't too shady, neither is the first half recliner. Monarch mt climb up to panther gap gets pretty darn hot too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had totally forgotten about that race. I think I may have raced it back in the mid 90's (Ug, I feel old). I will check out the La Grange Classic course, but I think I will end up riding Whiskeytown.

I would be up for being shown around, but I think timing may be a problem. I not sure exactly when I will be near Whiskeytown, but it will probably be early afternoon. Not the most convenient time for most folks.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I had totally forgotten about that race. I think I may have raced it back in the mid 90's (Ug, I feel old). I will check out the La Grange Classic course, but I think I will end up riding Whiskeytown.

I would be up for being shown around, but I think timing may be a problem. I not sure exactly when I will be near Whiskeytown, but it will probably be early afternoon. Not the most convenient time for most folks.
That works for me. I have a lot of free time now. Private message me and I will give you my number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.