Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was parent's day at my son's college, so of course we went riding. Brought my ARC and 575, son snagged the 575. After riding for awhile we switched. Now we're fighting over the ARC. No comparison on climbs, speed ,handling...of course this was one of those groomed trails, no rough for the 575 to shine on.

·
Machinist
171 Posts
The ARC is such a classic!!! It's the ONLY hardtail I have wanted besides my Klein....even after the 575 has come n gone the ARC won't be replaced.....oh well someday maybe I'll have one but right now I'm really wantin an ASR 7 lol

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah, that's one that I've wanted to have for those days when I want the same trail to feel different. My default trail is somewhat rough but tame in some areas. Would change things up for sure! Doing it all on my '07 575 right now.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
The thing is ... a HT will always pedal better ... you will always come across sections in a trail where you want a bit of speed and you need to pedal and that is when a HT will be quicker ... true a FS will catch up in areas where it is rooty/rocky/where it is dominantly sloping downwards, but you will still need to catch up and in the general scheme of things, a HT is quicker as most natural trails out there are more XC.

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took Joan of ARC to one of the more technical trails in the area yesterday. I was a little concerned about one spot where the trail heads across a rock ledge with various sideways drops. Managed to ride it all with just one quick dab. I give credit to the ARC's ability to change lines much faster than the 575. Found I had to really pick the line careful, but if there was no good line I just hammered the pedals and up it went. After the techie section it gets flat for 2-3 miles in a creek bottom, super twisty. THat's where this bike really shined, seemed like it was glued to the trail and no effort at all to push the big ring around the curves. After the beating the bike took, I lost a bolt in the rear of the Thompson seat post, fortunately just before the parking lot. Also the center lock adapters were loose on the Mavic Cross Trail wheels. Not real happy with that. Guess a good tightening is going to be the order of the day after each ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.