Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I've built loads of Arcs for myself, my son and friends and customers. Haven't had one complaint yet. Most of the people I know are running 2.8 on 35mm and 3" on 40 so, lots of protection. We also don't have crazy rocky downhills here on Long Island.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Mine seem fine after 2 years of abuse in rocky new england. I did taco the front coming nose down into the back side of a gap, but the shop was able to get it back to nearly true and I continued riding it for another half season. I'm pretty sure no aluminum rim would have survived that shot unscathed.

I recently replaced my front arc 27 with the new offset spoke arc 30. So far it seems really nice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Im running an ARC27 up front and ARC24 out back. Agreed with what everyone else has said so far, but do take note that these are thin rims. Crazy low pressure will mean dents.

I gave up on low pressure out back, and mine have been excellent. Im 210lb and I have to really be railing a corner at speed to feel any sort of flex out back. The front just holds straight and feels great. They replaced KOM rims and they're significantly better/stiffer/stronger.

For how light these things are, they're crazy strong.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've been running ARCs (24s on XC, 27s on AM) for a several years, and built a set or two for friends.

Pros:

- Reasonable price
- Reasonable weight
- Nice width
- Easy and reliable tubeless setup
- Welded seam

Cons:

- Soft (easy to dent)

I know all rims can be dented, and it is very difficult to empirically determine which rims are better, but anecdotally the original ARCs do seem softer than most other rims. The good side is you can typically just pound out the dents and keep riding.

The new ARC offsets are supposed to be a different more durable alloy but I have no experience with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.