Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here it is. Sunday...Goat Camp...the day everyone was waiting for. Would it live up to the hype? Time to find out. Everyone was excited, to SoCal crew finally got some rest and it was on. Goat Camp is a bunch of climbing, followed by a "super chunky" DH that never lets up for about 3 miles.

I only took a few photos on this trip, but several videos. Once I find a good place to host the vids, I will post those.

Mark climbing to the hike a bike

Aqua

DD

JOD

Dirtbag workin hard

Hangin at the top of the first climb.

Getting ready to head out

Everyone hanging at the saddle of the second climb

Still climbing

Which of these does not belong?

Up to Ford Canyon...NO, we are not done climbing yet.

DD Scoping out the bottom of the Spiral Staircase, but a bit too far left

OH, not this time, but he hit it the second run

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
Finally after a year and a half of wanting to hit GC we finally got a chance. B, this trail delivered and the descent was worth every drop of sweat. And what perfect temps - somewhere in the 70's.

D

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,158 Posts
Ahhhh Goat Camp!

Goat Camp, without a doubt was my favorite. This trail.... You must bring your A-Game.. It is sooo remote and scenic. The climbing favors a medium travel, 5-6 inch travel bike. Once at the top (about 4,500 feet), we were rewarded with the coolest views of the city far below.

When we finally summited..the mood from the locals changed from jovial to REAL serious.

We all padded up and I could hear the theme song from Jaws playing in my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice pics. Aqua...could that pack be any bigger. Just what are you carrying in there?!

·
Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Man, that just looks awesome. Stuff like this always makes me think about moving someplace a *little* warmer.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
OK, I'm sitting here waiting for more pictures. :D

... and video ... and the bloopers and ... :winker:

Looks great. In other pictures (and video) I have seen of Goat Camp, I was impressed with the flow retarding nature of the rocks. It looked very hard to sustain any kind of line and flow. Very cool trail.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK Aqua, here is your vid...

Here you go, not that your head needs to get any bigger, but here is the evidence.

For those of you that don't know, the Spiral Staircase is a tough section on Goat Camp. Precision is key, and believe me, the video does no justice to the danger that is present at this section. This is an amazing accomplishment for only his second attempt. The boy can ride!

Aqua on the Staircase

BTW, the vid I send you will be much better quality.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
tiSS'er said:
Here you go, not that your head needs to get any bigger, but here is the evidence.

For those of you that don't know, the Spiral Staircase is a tough section on Goat Camp. Precision is key, and believe me, the video does no justice to the danger that is present at this section. This is an amazing accomplishment for only his second attempt. The boy can ride!

Aqua on the Staircase

BTW, the vid I send you will be much better quality.
nice vid... very good riding by Aqua! :thumbsup:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Killer pictures! Should have utilized my time in Phoenix and Tucson better!

Can only imagine what Goat is like.

Also sweet Chuck Norris Beard!

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,158 Posts
Back to the climb

I wanna backtrack and get back to the climb on Goat Camp.

The initial portion is steep, "H A B bage"(hike a bike). Then it mellows a bit, but there are some significant crusty steps to navigate. If you screw up on some of these you stand a good chance of ending up like a turtle on it's back.

After we stopped for a brief lunch break, continued pressed on.

I've got some good pics of the Spiral Staircase coming. Also, some wild stuff on Jackhammer.

Note: We saw no other bikes on this ride. And it had nothing to do with the temps..which were unseasonably cool, btw. The few hikers that we ran into seemed stunned that anyone would be looney enough to try and ride this stuff. The expressions on their faces were classic!

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
that's a lot of climbing! WHEW! i'm tired just looking at the pics!!! :D

nicely done! :thumbsup::D

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
40,636 Posts
rroeder said:
Nice

Yo Aqua, did you take any pics of the descent between diaper changes?
Now thats what I call a Diaper Epic. :thumbsup: Hey if an Astronaut can wear one why not..........

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
this series of threads is quickly turnin into a fave. im lovin these shots and tryin to keep my home sickness in check. thanx guys. hella stoke ya have goin on here.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts