Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
5k, I’d say use a weather forecast of San Jose or similar city in the future. Santa Cruz will be deceiving because of the fog. It may be 65 in SC but 85 everywhere in the Bay Area

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It was over 90 today in my neck of the woods. HOT and I am not yet accustomed to it for sure. I was dragging ass most of the ride, but it still was a blast :) I definitely milked the shade wherever I found it!

Text Orange Colorfulness Font World

Nature Grass Natural landscape Plant community Landscape

·
Registered
677 Posts
Rode Skeggs this afternoon and it was great. Still some mud puddles which shocked me. Most of everything else was great though. Temp was only 77 when I showed up at 3:30. No and So Leaf were great!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Dragging ass with a crown I see... couldn't have been that slow! Looks beautiful!
Yeah I was surprised by that as well. The KOM was on a "newer" stretch so that made sense, but the other three including a 2nd best on one of the most highly travelled DHs was a bit of surprise. Guess heat exhaustion has a benefit of making you let go of the brakes lol!

I was really hoping to get the info out but that last rain really ****ed up a bunch of the trail since the cows are still out there. Most stuff is dried out though so hopefully the next few weeks we can clean it up again. I took two new peeps out on the trail last week and it did not get rave reviews.

Primary feedback was the trail is too rough. Nothing fixes that more than time with the Roguehoe and more rides, but I'll be in Germany/Switzerland all May so it is probably not going to happen until late June.

Side benefit, I'll get to ride some in Bavaria and as much as I want to try new stuff, I think I can't resist the urge to hit Zermatt again!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Never noticed it before, but there is a camera trap on Hihn's Mill.

Was riding out with the last slivers of light, ~8pm, and noticed the red (infrared?) light activating.

Feel bad for whoever looks at that footage.

They're going to think ogre's are real. My Riding Agony Face was on full display.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah I was surprised by that as well. The KOM was on a "newer" stretch so that made sense, but the other three including a 2nd best on one of the most highly travelled DHs was a bit of surprise. Guess heat exhaustion has a benefit of making you let go of the brakes lol!

I was really hoping to get the info out but that last rain really ****ed up a bunch of the trail since the cows are still out there. Most stuff is dried out though so hopefully the next few weeks we can clean it up again. I took two new peeps out on the trail last week and it did not get rave reviews.

Primary feedback was the trail is too rough. Nothing fixes that more than time with the Roguehoe and more rides, but I'll be in Germany/Switzerland all May so it is probably not going to happen until late June.

Side benefit, I'll get to ride some in Bavaria and as much as I want to try new stuff, I think I can't resist the urge to hit Zermatt again!
I might be spending some weeks in Zurich this summer for work and should be able to get a weekend of riding in. Is Zermatt the place to go?

·
More pie please
2,012 Posts
4/24/2019 El Corte de Madera Creek and Purisima Redwoods OSPs

An old car off of the Bordon Hatch Trail, Purisima Redwoods OSP:

A new slip-out on the Bordon Hatch Trail, Purisima Redwoods OSP caused by a tree tipping over:

Even though it hasn't rained in a couple weeks, it's still muddy in spots. Purisima Creek Road:

Giant Salamander Trail closure suggestion:

RIP upper Steam Donkey. It is slated to close May 1, 2019 so I rode it one last time. The portion to be closed is indicated in red:

This steep, rooty, eroded uphill bit left an impression the first time I went on the trail way back when... It was so overgrown that going up the middle was the only option. I could only ever walk it:

In contrast, the new, not-yet-opened Oljon Trail.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I might be spending some weeks in Zurich this summer for work and should be able to get a weekend of riding in. Is Zermatt the place to go?
HELL YES! Don't get me wrong, there are TONS of options and some really good ones closer than Zermatt ... but ... as you take the train up the valley for the first time and you see the Matterhorn, you're breath will be taken away. Then you ride and it just gets better. Then you finish and eat at an amazing restaurant and the smile will just not leave your face for days.

Make sure you hit Sunnega Trail if you go. Once or twice is not enough, get a few runs in, so make sure you get the unlimited all day pass for the lifts.

Below is the post I made after my first trip:

https://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/weekend-switzerland-germany-1088392.html

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.