Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting new wheels for the Tracer Vp. Aggresive Xc. Thinking about Pro 2,s with 5.1,s. Was also thinking off using alloy nipples pros- cons? What do you think the approx weight would be on this build?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ausgt said:
Thinking of getting new wheels for the Tracer Vp. Aggresive Xc. Thinking about Pro 2,s with 5.1,s. Was also thinking off using alloy nipples pros- cons? What do you think the approx weight would be on this build?
Universal Cycles and Speedgoat have wheel build forms that calculate the weight.

I (almost) always use alloy nipples. Never had a issue with them. I like the colors and the cost increase is not that much. Weight drop is only about 25g/wheel.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Depends on the spokes that you use...For Aggressive XC like you said that you ride I would stay away from DT Revolutions. I would go with either the SuperComp's or the Competition. The SuperComp's are on average 4.97g, the Competitions are a bit heavier at an average 5.97g. Below is a list of just claimed weights, your rims and hubs could be heavier or lighter than the claimed.

DT 5.1 Rim: ~500g x 2
Hope 2 Pro's: R: 298g F:186
SuperComp's: 4.97x64: ~318
About 60-65g for nipples
Total 1862-1867g

DT 5.1 Rim: ~500g x 2
Hope 2 Pro's: R: 298g F:186
COmpetitions: 5.97x64: ~382
About 60-65g for nipples
Total 1926-1931g

·
Registered
105 Posts
I built up a King ISO Disc set with Mavic 317 (the older, top-of-the-line ones) rims, Revolution spokes and DT alum. nipples. I weigh about 150 w/gear and have never had a problem with flexiness, etc. Here's the weight breakdown:

Rims: 395g each
Spokes: 280g for 64
Nipples: 20g for 64
Hubs: 166/306

So, as you can see, 1562g for the set. Of course, the rims are narrow, cross-country rims, but I haven't had any issues with them for the past 6 years. I ran 2.0 Specialized Roll-X and 2.1 Kenda Nevegal DTC tires in the past, and currently running 2.4 Mountain King supersonics on it. Quite a wide tire for such a narrow rim, but no problems in the last year with the tire flexing, etc., and that's with using 95g Panaracer Greenlite tubes. Just make sure and keep on top of your tire pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.