Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some decals from Fanatik Bike to bling up my Ibis Ripley a bit. I found lots of threads about removing decals but nothing about putting them on.

I have a habit of rushing into a project, botching it up, and then wishing I'd proceeded slower and done some research.

Therefore, I'm seeking any tips or tricks for applying decals to your wheels. I've already noticed that half of them are slightly smaller so I'm wondering if they go on the front. I have the stock Ripley V3 aluminum rims but I've never noticed if the front is actually a bit smaller than the rear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
My buddies occupation involves placing decals on vehicles. He always uses blue painters tape to outline the area that will have the decal. He also uses a mix of water & soap (10% soap , 90% water) he sprays the area w/ soap to aid in placement.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Totally on the painters tape and transfer tape. Put the tape or pieces of tape to serve as a guide but don't get them so close to where the decal goes that you accidentally get it under the decal.

Use transfer tape. Do not put your fingers on the sticky side of the decal. If you must, wipe your fingertips well immediately prior with acetone to remove oils, grease and dirt so it's not left under the decal. Lacquer thinner works too. Do not use fingernail polish remover as it often has some oil and other non beneficial stuff in it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same tips apply. Quite a bit of technique and precision to get these to look pro. You may botch a few before you get the hang. Clean hands and surface, transfer tape, and patience.
These are long decals. My technique would be to use the transfer tape to align and make first contact to rim in the center of the decal and smooth outward to the ends with my finger to minimize bubbles. Technique (Finger Gymnastics). This involves removing the whole backing tape and holding the decal with the application tape for alignment.
You will need to do some layout preplanning to get that many equally spaced around the rim too.
There is a good video on the tube “Applying Carbon Wheel Decals” that uses another technique, but also uses semi opaque application tape that looks pre installed on the decals.
I’m anal about decal details, so I will spend a crazy amount of time applying. YMMV.
I’m getting ready to do some NOX decals soon, so thank you for the link to the above. Didn’t know they sold NOX decals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.