Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what kind of biking, the Apple Watch simply doesn't respond to a wrist flick while riding.

Has anyone found a solution or work-around to this?

I've found that series 4 watch is pretty consistent with a chest-mounted HRM, so I like to use it to check my heart rate now and then for training purposes. It's a super pain that it won't turn on unless I stop riding and hit the dang screen.

Thanks for any advice

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
I have this feature turned off to save on battery life. To check my watch, I just tap the screen when stopped or while riding an easy, smooth section of single track.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
In my case that seems like two matters. One app I use seems to need that tap, but angle makes a difference. My far more upright trail/enduro style bike doesn't show it as a problem like my drop bar bike.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I've found that series 4 watch is pretty consistent with a chest-mounted HRM, so I like to use it to check my heart rate now and then for training purposes.
Not to drag it off topic but I went for a ride for the first time with my Garmin Approach S62 (golf watch) which I use for sleep and smart functions rather than golf. I didn't want to double up what my Garmin 520 does on the bike.
Anyway, there's quite a lag between my watch heart rate vs the 520s rate (I use with a chest strap).
I guess I could pair the strap to the watch..
How does the Apple watch fair in that regard?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to drag it off topic but I went for a ride for the first time with my Garmin Approach S62 (golf watch) which I use for sleep and smart functions rather than golf. I didn't want to double up what my Garmin 520 does on the bike.
Anyway, there's quite a lag between my watch heart rate vs the 520s rate (I use with a chest strap).
I guess I could pair the strap to the watch..
How does the Apple watch fair in that regard?
I went for a few rides last month wearing my Apple watch and a Polar HRM with chest strap. I put the Polar screen on my handlebars so I could see both readouts at the same time. I was surprised to find that there was almost no difference between the readings on the Apple watch and the chest-strap Polar monitor. (I strapped the watch down pretty tight on my wrist, fwiw).

That's actually the reason for the OP here; I'd like to solely use the watch, since the chest strap is a bit uncomfortable.

My heart rate at "I'm about to barf and then pass out" levels of effort is about 130, where the charts say it should be closer to 170. My doc says I probably have a high stroke volume and not to worry about it. Still, it seems weird, and my stamina runs slightly above total garbage, so I like to keep an eye on the effort-HR correlation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I’m using the watch as my sole ‘life’ tracker (family walk, bike rides, sleep, etc). It collects enough data for me and I like the reminder to take a break and breath once in a while. I had to turn off the hand washing monitor, too many false positives.

The HRM feels spot on. I have now way of testing it beyond looking at it when I feel at my limit and seeing my heart up at what I believe to be it’s limit.

I notice my heart rate is bunch lower at the office (which has AC) vs home which does not have AC (or much of a cross breeze).

·
Registered
Specialized Epic Evo
6 Posts
I have a series 5 and it seems to turn on when I move my wrist up to look at it most of the time. Sometimes I have to give it a little extra shake but nothing to crazy! Maybe try wearing it tighter or in a slightly different position on your wrist?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.