Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
Why bother? There are many devices on the market for this purpose. You're gambling that this thing would be within bluetooth range of an Apple device when Apple has a market share of 30%.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,604 Posts
Inside the rim, let the valve stem double as an antenna.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wonder if an AirTag would fit neatly in a OneUp EDC steerer plug? It's definitely not ideal as a theft tracker, but there's a lot of scenarios where it would be decent.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Inside a SWAT box won't work since bikes with those are carbon. The carbon will shield any signals from passing so that won't work. I think under the seat seams like the best location since it's not encased in any metal or carbon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can confirm placing them in metal and carbon is having an issue. I installed three Airtags on Friday in my stems. Went to check Find My app just now and all three were “last seen” yesterday morning around the time when I installed them. Tried finding, tried pinging a tone… “cannot locate”

gonna go searching for adhesive holders for under the seat I suppose.

Inside a SWAT box won't work since bikes with those are carbon. The carbon will shield any signals from passing so that won't work. I think under the seat seams like the best location since it's not encased in any metal or carbon.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can confirm placing them in metal and carbon is having an issue. I installed three Airtags on Friday in my stems. Went to check Find My app just now and all three were “last seen” yesterday morning around the time when I installed them. Tried finding, tried pinging a tone… “cannot locate”

gonna go searching for adhesive holders for under the seat I suppose.
Bummer. Thanks for the experimentation. Looks like the adhesive mount under the seat is the frontrunner so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bummer. Thanks for the experimentation. Looks like the adhesive mount under the seat is the frontrunner so far.
I saw these “Moment” brand holders. Is that the price for ONE? No fucking way I’m pay $20 for a piece of tape for a $25 tracker x4

·
Registered
1 Posts
1" x 3" would fit under your seat. Especially if you used a seat rail bag to conceal it. I was thinking about buying it and installing with two sided tape inside my SWAT tube. Wish it had a longer battery life though.
I'm wondering if this would be small enough to fit on the inside of my seat post....also not sure if that would block the signal or not but that was my first thought, and I'd probably install it in such a way that it would take a few minutes to find and remove.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm wondering if this would be small enough to fit on the inside of my seat post....also not sure if that would block the signal or not but that was my first thought, and I'd probably install it in such a way that it would take a few minutes to find and remove.
I originally installed under my fork using some $4 pipe insulation foam I’ve smartly kept around for the last 6 years but it was quite tight and I was afraid it would eventually fall out. One of my bikes were too narrow. I thought about the seat post but I have a dropper so that wouldn’t work on one of them. The other two bikes were too narrow. Looking around each bike, the stem was the only place that the Airtag would fit for all of them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mounted an airtag inside a black silicone case (cheapie from amazon) and double side taped it to the upper clamp of the seatpost under the saddle. Can't really see it unless you're looking for it - although I might add a zip tie to fasten it for some additional piece of mind, which will make it slightly more visible.

I had it initially mounted inside the top tube in my carbon frame to keep it real stealthy, but like others have stated, the reception wasn't so great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mounted an airtag inside a black silicone case (cheapie from amazon) and double side taped it to the top clamp top of the seatpost under the saddle. Can't really see it unless you're looking for it - although I might add a zip tie to fasten it for some additional piece of mind.

I had it initially mounted inside the top tube in my carbon frame to keep it real stealthy, but like others have stated, the reception wasn't so great.
Can you link me to the silicone sleeves from Amazon? All of the ones I've seen there won't ship for like 3-4 weeks.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
this really isn't much different than those Tile tags that have been on the market for years. They're pretty much useless for trying to recover stolen items.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you link me to the silicone sleeves from Amazon? All of the ones I've seen there won't ship for like 3-4 weeks.
These, but it does appear that they're not in stock. The colored ones are however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why bother? There are many devices on the market for this purpose. You're gambling that this thing would be within bluetooth range of an Apple device when Apple has a market share of 30%.
Believe it or not, active users of smartphones in the United States is nearly 50%. There are more android sales, 70/30%, but the average iPhone is in active use for nearly 5 years, and Android is less just over 2. Even the phones themselves are supported with new software updates for 6 years plus. Most android phones get 18 months, tops, outside of some critical security issues.

This is coming from a person who only made the switch to iOS 2 years ago, after getting frustrated with having to buy a new phone every 2 years. I also liked the new directions apple was headed on privacy. I used to always be one who would endlessly experiment with my phone as things were not updated after a year to make them last longer, and really enjoyed some of the customizations under android, but after a while I just wanted it to work.

I am hoping a one time cost of airtags will do the job for a reasonable cost.

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
I've never had a problem with Samsung Galaxy phones lasting many years. But last year I gave a big middle finger to Apple, google, and Samsung and run GrapheneOS on a Pixel 3.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
this really isn't much different than those Tile tags that have been on the market for years. They're pretty much useless for trying to recover stolen items.
As I understand it, all iphones help track your tags, whereas with tile it's just people with the app installed, which is a much smaller subset of passing phones.

That said, although my tiles were piss-useless when I first got them, they've actually made enough firmware improvements in the last 3 years for me to upgrade my 1-star review.

It somehow knew my wallet was in my wife's car at the other end of town last week, and my wife does not have the app installed.

But finding stolen things vs. lost things? I guess we'll have to see.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,441 Posts
But finding stolen things vs. lost things? I guess we'll have to see.
The biggest issue with stolen items is related to the poor range and low transmit power of bluetooth. Even accounting for the fact that more people have iphones than use the tile app, so you do have better saturation with this tech, at least.

It's even mentioned in this thread. You can't truly HIDE the tag, because the signal gets blocked once you do. So the tag has to be out in the open to work at all. Which leaves it accessible to being tampered with.

Even assuming that thieves take awhile to catch on to it and it offers some improvement in tracking stolen items, once they do catch on, they'll realize it's pretty easy to find and remove the tag or find some other workaround (I can think of a few).

21 - 40 of 60 Posts