Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it would be a great idea to put an Apple Airtag on your mountain bike to track it? I think the device is small enough that you could wedge it into a crack/aperture and it wouldn’t be noticed right away by a thief.

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
It uses bluetooth. Range is like 20 feet.

There are a variety of sim card compatible gps units on the market that will perform this function for you. However, the police won't help you get your bike back, so you'll be kicking in doors yourself.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you think it would be a great idea to put an Apple Airtag on your mountain bike to track it? I think the device is small enough that you could wedge it into a crack/aperture and it wouldn’t be noticed right away by a thief.
Doesn't your phone warn you if an Airtag is following you? It is some sort of anti-stalking feature.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,549 Posts
It was also my first thought about the air tag. The only problem I can see is if the thief also has an iPhone, they’ll get a warning that an air tag is following them and they would be prompted to find it and throw it out.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,549 Posts
Not exactly...it’s also tied into apple’s “Find My” network, so it pings off any (modern) Apple device that it gets close to. If the thief takes the bike somewhere remote, then you’re screwed, but if its around people, there’s a good chance you’ll get a signal back.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Coworker of mine just this week had their truck stolen out it their driveway. They left the fob inside the car accidentally. They noticed the movement on the camera and realized what was happening. A shortly after calling it in they realized the dogs GPS collar was in the truck, they let the police know and they actually caught them. No idea which collar or how long the battery lasts or how big it is, but it was a satisfying story nevertheless.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
447 Posts

There are a variety of sim card compatible gps units on the market that will perform this function for you. However, the police won't help you get your bike back, so you'll be kicking in doors yourself.
This would depend a ton on the police force.

My wife had her iPhone stolen in an airport. Thief flew home with it and brought it home, to Florida.

I tracked the phone with “find my iPhone”, called the police in the area to tell them what happened. They went to the home and the person denied it. They contacted the airline, confirming that the person was in the same location as my wife at the time and went back and put him in cuffs...

The guy freaked out when the police showed up the first time, so he destroyed the phone and threw it away. He had to pay us restitution for the value of the phone and was put on probation.

Considering bikes can easily exceed the value of a phone these days, police will absolutely go after a thief.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
447 Posts
Bloody hell! How expensive are phones in your neck of the woods?
My wife’s stolen phone had a value of $950. My current phone has a value of $1,200. In NY, that is grand larceny in the 4th degree to steal my current phone.

My bike would be Grand Larceny in the 3rd degree since my bike exceeds $3,000 in value. Basically guaranteed jail time.

Your wife is very lucky. That is an extremely rare level of service.
In Florida, the phones value made the theft 3rd degree Grand Larceny. It also helps that we literally tracked it right to where the phone was. We sent screen shots of the exact address and the airlines ended up confirmthat guy living there was in the same exact location as my wife when the phone was stolen. It was a pretty easy case for them.

If your $100 huffy goes missing and you have no idea where it is, yeah they are going to do practically nothing.

But if my bike that’s valued at thousands of dollars is stolen and I can show them, with GPS Tracking, exactly where it is. They will jump at the ability to get such an easy to close case.

Value of the object stolen plays a large role in police interests. If you have a high value item stolen and you know exactly where it is, with irrefutable electronic tracking proof that’s icing on the cake.

·
Thicc Member
1,159 Posts
Without the airlines confirming he was there (very circumstantial anyway), having the phone was just possession of stolen property, very difficult to prosecute. If someone stole a bike out of your garage and it was sitting in zems apartment, you could have all the location trackers in the world plus live video from the handlebar and no le agency would give you the time of day.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Without the airlines confirming he was there (very circumstantial anyway), having the phone was just possession of stolen property, very difficult to prosecute. If someone stole a bike out of your garage and it was sitting in zems apartment, you could have all the location trackers in the world plus live video from the handlebar and no le agency would give you the time of day.
You really shouldn’t just make blanket, absolute statements like, they can’t, or they won’t.
A buddy of mine had two dirt bikes stolen from his garage, total value about $8000.
Another friend of his found one for sale on Craigslist, my friend showed the detective, they set up a “buy”, and the county and state cops drove 100 miles south at high speed, with my buddy along for the ride. They also towed a trailer behind the county cops suv.
The buy went off, they recovered one of the bikes and trailered it home, and got info on where the other one was and who actually stole them. Turned out it was a guy from just a couple miles down the road. They also recovered the other bike.

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,549 Posts
So now we need someone to invent a secret bike holder for an air tag. I’m thinking a plastic plug that would snap into the bottom end of the fork steerer.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
That device looks a bit large but thanks for the info.
1" x 3" would fit under your seat. Especially if you used a seat rail bag to conceal it. I was thinking about buying it and installing with two sided tape inside my SWAT tube. Wish it had a longer battery life though.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts