Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Apex Trail Crew (the "Crew") did an absolutely fantastic job at cleaning up Pick-n-Sledge. Bravo!!!

Prior to the Crew's deft use of pick-axes, shovels and trimmers, that godless deathtrap some considered a "trail" was totally unrideable on my Schwinn Varsity. It was a natural singletrack, barely 15" wide with natural features like rocks, tree roots and the like. Who in the right mind would want to ride a bike, much less hike, on a trail like that when the lustful adventure of the Highline Canal trail awaits? I used to be forced to stare in face of nature's shameful rocks in their original state and then lift my foot over them like a chump.

Enter the Crew adorned whites robes and golden auras. Up they go toiling away making the perfect trail for me flick through all ten speeds (ah, technology) on my Varsity and cool evenings strolling in my penny loafers. Bless the angelic crew for finally widening the trail so that my grandma's wheelchair, her beloved aging three-legged dog (Lucky) and I can walk abreast, hand-in-hand-in-paw and still have room for others to pass by and wave.

Best of all, however, is the fact that the sweet caress of dust, mud and erosion working together like George, Condi and Dick. Before, that heathen's den of a path was packed down and water would skirt past the rocks down the hill. Now, the beauty of four inches of silty dust covers the serenely level trail awaiting the first rain. Mmmmmmm, mud, then ruts... Is there anything better? I don't think so.

I cannot imagine the hours, if not days, of blood sweat and tears that went into jack-hammering those evil rock formations that sinfully mandated hapless individuals to raise their feet higher than the Board of Geriatric Medicine's recommended maximum allowable stride height. May the legislators behind the Americans with Disabilities Act rain down praise and stale Entanmann's donuts to those blessed workers who finally made the trail safe for wheelchairs. Best of all, my great uncle can finally make it up all of Pick-n-Sledge without the little tennis balls on the front of his walker legs.

I'm welling up with tears of joy again. God bless everyone, especially the Crew!

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Just give it time, nature will prevail. Erosion is your friend.

_MK

·
resetting my post count
27 Posts
I think they did the same thing to the top of Mount Falcon, I just wish they would pave it all the way up, it would make it so much easier and definitely less erosion, althought it's close to that now. Maybe if they could lessen the grade that would be awesome too.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,460 Posts
SSpeed said:
I think they did the same thing to the top of Mount Falcon, I just wish they would pave it all the way up, it would make it so much easier and definitely less erosion, althought it's close to that now. Maybe if they could lessen the grade that would be awesome too.
It'll eventually come to that. The road-cut side of Dakota Ridge hasn't always been concrete, you know... :D

·
Tribe Member
873 Posts
I'm hungry.......

SkaredShtles said:
Don't worry... that's coming. I hear they're going to put a snack bar in at the shelter at Falcon, too. :cool:
Will they be selling soft serve ice cream, cheeseburgers, fries???

Maybe on Friday nights they could Happy Hour and have free chips and salsa and PRB specials!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.