Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
MountainMafia "Boss"
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading countless threads pertaining to the controvery that surrounds Apex, I headed up that way Sunday morning. I recently moved up to the Denver area from the Springs, and decided to check the park out and see what has people so bent oout of shape with the DH crowd. I always yield to uphill cyclists, hikers, and equestrians when I come across them. It seems like the guys who don't get thrashed on here a lot, but its usually by those who don't have a clue as to what its like to try and shut a 40+lb bike down when going 20+mph.

While I can see the draw the XC guys (and girls) have to Apex, with all the technical uphill sections, but you guys have to realize that those turn into nice technical decents as well.

Its too bad this park is surrounded by this group or that group throwing stones. Its a cool place overall, and despite the XC'rs hating it, I'm sure the DH/FR scene will still show up and hit the fun trial. I know I'll be doig my part in reppin' the gravity guys.

Are there any other good DH runs around that are close to town and easy to get to? If anyone knows a good direction to point me, please PM me with the info.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Deer Creek is a blast coming down...oh wait, you have to pedal up;)

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Dude! Apex is teh sickter!

Lair o' teh Bear is a sweet shuttle from Pence Park down.....theres some super sketch tech sections you may have to walk, unless ur liek Shawn Palmer or something.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
flowtron said:

Lair o' teh Bear is a sweet shuttle from Pence Park down.....theres some super sketch tech sections you may have to walk, unless ur liek Shawn Palmer or something.
What?

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
athalliah said:
You don't speak grom?
No, Pau11y only speaks l33t.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
MountainMafia said:
While I can see the draw the XC guys (and girls) have to Apex, with all the technical uphill sections, but you guys have to realize that those turn into nice technical decents as well.

Really? What an enlightenment. I bet the xc crowd is so happy to hear that the trail has "nice technical de(s)cents as well," since I'm sure not one single xc rider on Apex has ever ridden down the trail--they certainly take the road back down.

What is your point again?

Once again, the posts here are not attacking DH in general. It's the disregard of the few (regardless of the bike they are on) who choose to bomb down the trail and scare the crap out of uphill traffic, in particular the hiking community.

Seems a few of you read the posts and immediately get defensive about it being a DH versus XC thing.

MountainMafia, when you rode on Sunday, did you wear full face helmet and gear? Do you feel it's necessary at the speeds required on Apex to be able to yield to hikers and such? I ask because some people do and the hikers bring it up all the time at the meetings in JeffCo. When the hikers are bringing it up to the open space people, that is when it's an issue.

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
"Apex done... any others?"

--yeah, I heard there's lots of stuff in the Springs. You could also put the cigarette down and learn to ride uphill.

·
MountainMafia "Boss"
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
russman said:
"Apex done... any others?"

--yeah, I heard there's lots of stuff in the Springs. You could also put the cigarette down and learn to ride uphill.
Wow, thanks for the suggestion russman. I don't get why XC'ers bag on those who like to ride DH/FR. I mean I don't see an abundance of gravity riders making such remarks. So why let others enjoy their chosen discipline? I choose not to ride XC out of just that... my choice. I have nothing against XC'ers or roadies for that matter (I used to race TT and Tris so I know the road scene pretty well). I prefer to spend my time finding good trails to bomb. Sorry you think that means I'm a smoker for some reason. I don't see the correlation really.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
MountainMafia said:
<snip> I prefer to spend my time finding good trails to bomb.
Don't do Deer Creek, then. It's really quite un-bombable due to the high concentration of blind corners. There are some sections you could get some speed, but they're pretty short.

·
MountainMafia "Boss"
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SkaredShtles said:
Don't do Deer Creek, then. It's really quite un-bombable due to the high concentration of blind corners. There are some sections you could get some speed, but they're pretty short.
I'd still be down for it if there was some good flow

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
MountainMafia said:
I'd still be down for it if there was some good flow
The flow is interrupted by said blind corners. :D

It's a fun XC ride, but I'd not by any stretch classify it as AM/DH in any way.

For really good flow ride Pence Park down to Lair o' the Bear. FLOW CITY!! :thumbsup:

·
MountainMafia "Boss"
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SkaredShtles said:
The flow is interrupted by said blind corners. :D

It's a fun XC ride, but I'd not by any stretch classify it as AM/DH in any way.

For really good flow ride Pence Park down to Lair o' the Bear. FLOW CITY!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Skared... I'll hit that next, maybe this Sunday

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,423 Posts
MountainMafia said:
Thanks Skared... I'll hit that next, maybe this Sunday
Just watch out for blind corners and hordes of hikers and bikers coming UP the trail. I'd recommend hitting it either really early or during the week.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
flowtron said:

w3rd. teh lair is teh bom. peepul git aal mad at me win i am rayling that sheet, but i'm liek "skrew you giys, ewe dont no how hard it is to stop a 40# gnarhucksled win yur going uber fast"

Hate to say it, but after reading the original post, I think MountainMafia might be a bit misleading - how's about "Mountaincrackheadmugger"?

Thanks for reppin' us, brah - we've been needing more reppin' from the XXXtreemgnarhuckstar element. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts