Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone been up that direction last weekend?

I'm headed south from Vashon Island on Sunday afternoon and was thinking of camping and riding Monday near St. Helens. The GF (advanced/ expert rider) will be with me and had hoped to show her Ape Canyon/ Plains of Abraham as she's never been there but... with the snow pack I'm assuming it's still covered.

Otherwise any info if Lewis River has been cleared? The FS website ( http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/current-conditions/trails.shtml) doesn't have current info and BBTC mentioned lots of blowdown, but report is from back in May.

Could head toward Palisades, etc. but a bit more out of the way for heading back to Oregon and sounds like there's still snow and clearing needed up that way.

Thanks!

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
GFreak said:
Any update on this? I was hoping to ride Ape Canyon the weekend of Aug. 1. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Go for it. Step up to the plate as others have this year chasing the snow up the hills. nwhikers.net is a good site for hiker trip reports. I haven't seen anything from there yet.

Monte

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
cantillon206 said:
Just posted a short trail report over on the Oregon thread. Ape-Abe was in good shape when I rode it a couple of weekends ago, I would definitely recommend riding it. Smith Creek, not so much.
Second what he said. Ride Ape canyon up and back. Don't bother doing Smith Creek, it is comepletely overgrown.

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
If anyone wants to join in:

"Also, check your calendar now for the August 3rd work party at Ape Canyon. We will leave from the Hilander parking lot in Kelso at 7 a.m. on Sunday, park at Marble Mountain and pedal in the easy 5 miles on pavement. Brian is going up this week to see how much work is needed. Plan to bring nippers or a hand saw that will fit in your pack. Be sure to let me know if you are coming. That trail is a jewel and we want to make sure it remains in great shape. As you know, the Forest Service simply doesn't have the funding for trail crews anymore so it's up to local riders to step up and lend a hand. Jeep"

Just posting in case other want to join......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.