Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have accumulated a handful of unopened rubber cement tubes and the bits of sandpaper. I'm tired of buying patch KITS!!!:arf: :arf: :arf: -Hadn't seen that one yet :) Anyone know where to get just patches?

They're probably a fraction of the kit cost, you'd think a box of 50 assorted patches could be purchased for cheap. Come to think of it what do bike shops do?

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All right, so for those interested I did finally find some. A box of 100 Rema patches is $15, a box of 100 Sunlite patches under $6.
Both on Amazon, the Sunlites are sold through Niagara Cycle works.

·
Registered
961 Posts
stumblemumble said:
I seem to have accumulated a handful of unopened rubber cement tubes and the bits of sandpaper. I'm tired of buying patch KITS!!!:arf: :arf: :arf: -Hadn't seen that one yet :) Anyone know where to get just patches?

They're probably a fraction of the kit cost, you'd think a box of 50 assorted patches could be purchased for cheap. Come to think of it what do bike shops do?
Did you try your local bike shop? They always have patches to sell, cheaply.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stalker said:
Why not just cut up an old tube?
I had a buddy who did this and swore by it. The thing is (from my understanding) that the "tube patches" must be etched with the sandpaper just as you etch the tube itself. This is to remove the stuff used to prevent sticking in the mold.
Also I hear that the butyl tubes don't actually react as much to the vulcanizing goo as the real patches do.
Anybody with hard evidence, ie: "I've done it for years and..." I'd be very interested to hear your technique.

·
Registered
208 Posts
stumblemumble said:
I had a buddy who did this and swore by it. The thing is (from my understanding) that the "tube patches" must be etched with the sandpaper just as you etch the tube itself. This is to remove the stuff used to prevent sticking in the mold.
Also I hear that the butyl tubes don't actually react as much to the vulcanizing goo as the real patches do.
Anybody with hard evidence, ie: "I've done it for years and..." I'd be very interested to hear your technique.
Back where I come from (India), cycles are THE most common form of transport for the economically weaker.
Cycle mechanics can be found by the dozen on roadsides, and unless you walk into a swanky showroom selling fancy bikes, you'll find them using just old cut up tubes, sandpaper and vulcanizing goo.

And yes, they do sand both the surfaces, the cut up tube AND the tube with a hole.

·
no shoes no shirt no dice
125 Posts
stalker said:
Why not just cut up an old tube?
I'm with Stalker....

Why would anyone buy patches for bicycle tubes?

1. Buy a new tube
  2. Cut up the old tube into patches (you will have enough patches to likely last a lifetime)
  3. Buy a small tube of contact cement or good quality cyanoacrylate (instant or crazy glue)
  4. Use a small piece of sandpaper to rough up the surfaces

I've used this method and materials and never once had the leak resurface in the exact same place.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

·
Banned
1,139 Posts
stumblemumble said:

Get them off of ebay

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Haha a stalker from India :thumbsup:

Anyways, I've heard that this can be done if you don't have an extra tube or any patches, does anyone know if this works? Say you get a hole in your tube, you can cut or tear the tube completely in half and tie both ends shut firmly *not tie the tube together* but you are left with basically something that looks like you could make a balloon animal out of it, a long straight tube filled with air. I've heard that this works, it will inflate in your tire and you won't even notice the flat spot where the 2 knots are. Of course it was recommended to put a fresh tube in as soon as possible. But does anyone know if that works??

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Haha a stalker from India :thumbsup:

Anyways, I've heard that this can be done if you don't have an extra tube or any patches, does anyone know if this works? Say you get a hole in your tube, you can cut or tear the tube completely in half and tie both ends shut firmly *not tie the tube together* but you are left with basically something that looks like you could make a balloon animal out of it, a long straight tube filled with air. I've heard that this works, it will inflate in your tire and you won't even notice the flat spot where the 2 knots are. Of course it was recommended to put a fresh tube in as soon as possible. But does anyone know if that works??
I've done it where you cut the tube at the hole and tie the ends together (what you specifically say not to do) and it worked great. I probably could've ridden it setup like that till the next flat and not really noticed anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.