Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 29er stumpjumper 2019 it came with fox rhythm 34 150mm fork. I want to increase to 160mm for an extra 10mm travel + the extra 1/2 degree head angle. It seems though that there is no air shaft for this fork? Anyone been able to do this?

Alternatively I might need to resort to 160mm lyrik or pike. some good deals around at moment of outgoing 2019 forks. (The fox36 grip2 are still more expensive then i want to spend)

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,173 Posts
I believe 150mm is the max for the 29" fork.

From a functional standpoint, there is almost no reason to add 10mm of travel. If your running a 34 on a 160mm travel bike, you're probably exceeding the limits that fork was designed for. It's a trail fork, not an AM/Enduro fork.

At 160mm you'll increase the wear on the bushings, potentially damaging the fork stanchions.

I know it's cool to say you've got tons of travel, but it aint the length, it's how you use it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe 150mm is the max for the 29" fork.

From a functional standpoint, there is almost no reason to add 10mm of travel. If your running a 34 on a 160mm travel bike, you're probably exceeding the limits that fork was designed for. It's a trail fork, not an AM/Enduro fork.

At 160mm you'll increase the wear on the bushings, potentially damaging the fork stanchions.

I know it's cool to say you've got tons of travel, but it aint the length, it's how you use it.
Yep I hear ya, it's just I also wanted it for the extra head angle. Basically I'm about to service the lowers and thought for a small amount I could try increasing the travel and head angle too. (Air spring is cheaper than a angle set) anyway I'll leave it how it is for now cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.