Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
As a person who generally prefers less bike, I'm quite interested to see what impact suspension fatbikes will have.

Will it simply make our bikes heavier, or will we be able to ride over more stuff? I'm not interested in going faster, but if I can get over more stuff then I'm sold. :)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I would have loved a full squish yesterday, as our local trails are pretty rough from people walking on them on warm days. It was 20 degrees when I rode yesterday, and at 7 psi in the back, 5 in the front on tubeless I was still getting pretty beat up.

Other than yesterday, I have never wanted a fatfully

·
Registered
465 Posts
I saw a Salsa full squish fatty in Dallas yesterday (Big Cedar Wilderness Trail). Maybe they sold all their protos and gave up? Or maybe they are testing still. I didn't notice what fork it was running though.

Sent from my hammock

·
All fat, all the time.
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just build your own, I did a few years ago and it is so much fun!

-Nolan
I wish I had the fab skills to do so, but I do not.... :(

I tried to find someone local to work with, to widen my Trek Ex9 frame last year but everyone was worried about welding the heat-treated frame (& trek doesn't tell people exactly what their "alpha aluminum" is)....

Oh well I guess I wait.....

Based on the huge jump in performance I had when going from rigid to maverick to lefty.....I can only imagine how sweet it'll be with rear suspension as well.

I can see the arguments from both sides, it really depends if you have multiple bikes, the trails you ride with your fatty, and how fast/comfy you want to be.

I only ride the fatty, all year, snow, dirt, whatever. it is my only bike.

When you start going fast through the technical stuff, suspension is hard to beat.

Now, if it is a winter-only type toy playing in the snow, I could see rigid being just fine.

:)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame
FS Fat are great, but IMO the rear sus is really all you need. Prior the fatbike revolution I rode a rear sus Turner that a friend fabbed up and it ruled the trails, particularly when the trails were rough from frozen human prints, or worse yet, frozen horse tracks. My arms were not an issue, but having that seat slam repeatedly into the posterior tended to ruin the experience. On the other hand, that bike had a really high bottom bracket and top tube and was kinda porky. Something lightweight with 3" of travel and a rigid carbon fork would be the ticket.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took it out today on my local trail. North jersey rocky and rooty . I could not believe how smooth it rides and rolls over everything . I have lower back issues that why I got this bike and I am loving it . Rocks roots and trail jumps rode over felt nothing . Awesome traction on the wet climbs today also no spinning at all. I am very happy .

·
All fat, all the time.
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that is a sexy bike! Trust me, I've oogled the carver online for a while now...but realistically the cost of that ti frame will probably be close to an aluminum frame plus a new wheelset....I've waited this long, ti is just a bit too pricey for me.

My 907 w/lefty & dropper post is probably hovering around 31-32 pounds or so, hoping I can keep it fairly lightweight depending what the AL frames come in as.

·
not FAT free
177 Posts
ok
here is what most of You here already know - turner rfx locally called " pugsner " (pugsley / turner)
50 lb , 7" front 6.75" rear , 16.75" bb height

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim

and here is something new based on 29 turner sultan frame
max rear tire clearance - nate on 80mm rim
44 lb 5.5" front 4.7" rear ( .7 more than stock) 14" bb height

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Winter Bicycle wheel

and 39 lb 4" front 4" rear 12.5" bb height
i probably could cut 2-3 lbs of weight -> no dropper post, 1X10 drive train , and different rims (current- 1150g each ) etc

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Winter Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Winter Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Blue Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Mode of transport

sultan
-corners like house fly, more predictable and easier to recover when front washes out - my foot is wright there close to ground ( RFX requires quicker reflex :) )
-keep straight line in loose snow on slow speed way better than RFX

sultan is my choice for difficult ( winter) trail conditions with unpacked snow when there is no hope to catch some air :)
soonest trails are packed or frozen i'm back on RFX
sultan supposed to be just test bike to see how proper geometry feel on trail and i thought to sell it after test rides but now i just can't :) i like it to much

i prefer SULTAN with more weight but more travel and 14" bb (white brothers fork and custom risse racing shock ) over 4" travel lighter and lower bb (lefty and fox rp23)
just because pedals do not touch ground as often, both setups feel equal for me as far as turns , climbs

i've had a chance to lift borealis and carbon salsa which weights as much as my fork and wheels :) and i was very impressed but RFX with high bb and heavy weight is still my choice for most of my rides
i'm too spoiled and totally sold to my turners to think of riding hardtail or rigid but that's just me, also i don't ride in sub 0 temps so no issues with suspension

cheers Paul

·
All fat, all the time.
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.